Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Synthesis of malonic acid
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 23:34

Quote: Originally posted by AvBaeyer  
Most of what is being proposed here is too far fetched for the typical hobby or home lab. Why not just buy diethyl malonate which is cheaply available from perfume chemical suppliers. It is essentially OTC. The diester can serve as the basis for lots of chemistry including the preparation of the the half-ester and malonic acid itself.

I realize folks like to speculate on all sorts of possible chemical reactions, but most of the time it's just easier to buy what you need. Do not mean to offend, just my thoughts.

AvB

Agreed but we can dream.. :)
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 19-10-2017 at 10:25

And here I was wondering if it was possible to easily make esters out of malonic acid....

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Niter of Potash
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 06:04

What about allyl alcohol/acrylic acid route?
Allyl alcohol is not hard to make, just pretty nasty :(

In theory, you could do anti-markovnikov addition of HBr to acrylic acid, hydrolise 3-bromopropionic acid, and then oxidise 3-hydroxypriopinic acid to form malonic acid.

Also, what would happen if you try to oxidise that double bond with KMnO4 or nitric acid, for example?

Would you end up with malonic acid, epoxide, or that double bound gets cleaved with final products being oxalic and formic acid?

[Edited on 29-10-2017 by Niter of Potash]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 19:20

AvBaeyer: if everyone could buy diethyl malonate this thread might not be here.

However I believe I have a route using only sulfuric acid, malic acid, copper sulfate, and magnesium acetate. I have noticed that magnesium malonate appears to be significantly less soluble than the sulfate:
Quote:
A. Magnesium Malonate: 180.6 g of magnesium acetate tetrahydrate (Mg(OAc)2.4H2O) was dissolved in 500 ml deionized water. Separately, 89.4 g malonic acid (C3O4H4) was dissolved in 60 ml deionized water. The solutions were mixed, bringing about immediate precipitation of Mg(C3O4H2)3.nH2O. After filtering and washing, the yield was 136 g.
https://www.google.com/patents/US6193904

This allows malonic acid to be separated from solutions containing sulfuric acid by the action of magnesium acetate.
In particular, some references indicate that malic acid is converted to formylacetic acid by the action of concentrated sulfuric acid.
https://books.google.com/books?id=mnsKyupepQEC&pg=PA125&...
It's possible that the oxidation with nitric acid depends on formylacetic acid as an intermediate. Nitric acid is known to oxidize aldehydes.
This suggests that malic acid oxidation could also occur in concentrated sulfuric acid containing anhydrous copper (II) sulfate, since Cu2+ oxidizes aldehydes as well. The reaction can then be quenched with magnesium acetate. Copper sulfate has the advantage of producing no gaseous byproducts; copper is filtered from the rxn mixture or reoxidized by dioxygen. Malonic acid can probably be recovered from the magnesium salt by the action of oxalic acid, since magnesium oxalate is highly insoluble and oxalic acid is much stronger than malonic acid. If oxalic acid is unavailable, phosphoric acid might work.
The instability of malonic acid is annoying however so it might be more reasonable to perform a double displacement on magnesium malonate by treating it with hot sodium carbonate solution; IIRC the malonate ion has a much longer lifetime in solution than the free acid (I know this is true of acetoacetic acid). Malonic diesters can then be prepared directly from sodium malonate by alkylation with alkyl halides.

[Edited on 30-10-2017 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 20:07

In the US diethyl malonate is easily purchased from perfume suppliers as stated by UC235.

In Prepublication I have posted a synthesis using 1,3 propandiol. A few years ago this was more difficult to get. Now it is readily available from cosmetic suppliers and Amazon, as previously mentioned. Are these sources not available to you?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Niter of Potash
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 12:05

I just found this document online.

Seems like that malonic acid can me made by oxidation of malic acid by sodium hypochloride, in somewhat acceptable yield.

Sadly, HNO3 was not tested in this article as oxidising agent, and NaClO used was industrial strenght (I can only get 5% hypochlorite :( )

I guess I will just have to buy malic acid and try HNO3 oxidation myself.

Any ideas why dichromate and H2O2 methods don't work?

Attachment: Malic acid Oxidation Experiments.docx (18kB)
This file has been downloaded 249 times

Niter of Potash
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 12:40

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
In the US diethyl malonate is easily purchased from perfume suppliers as stated by UC235.

In Prepublication I have posted a synthesis using 1,3 propandiol. A few years ago this was more difficult to get. Now it is readily available from cosmetic suppliers and Amazon, as previously mentioned. Are these sources not available to you?

So far, I wasn't able to find 1,3PD locally, and i'm a bit too paranoid to order it online, outside my country.

Oh well, I spent months trying to distill toluene from various nitro thinners, and pretty much failed every time(I couldn't purify it to desired purity), just to find out that all this time, one specific, very cheap paint thinner was 100% toluene...so yeah, maybe 1,3PD is just in front of my nose all this time as well.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 14:10

1, 3 propanediol is an ingredient for making cosmetics at home and is available at
Somerset Cosmetics. I think your paranoia meter is unnecessarily pegged.

[Edited on 30-10-2017 by Magpie]

[Edited on 31-10-2017 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Niter of Potash
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 17:20

So I took a look at Magpie's malonic acid synthesis (this one:)

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13122

Is there any reason why 6M nitric acid was used?
What would happen if you used something like 30%,40%, or even higher percentage nitric acid?
Are there any drawback (malonic acid decomposing,for example), except maybe having harder time controlling reaction?

Benefits would be less water to evaporate after synthesis.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 20:13

You can easily get a dangerous runaway reaction if the nitric is too strong or added too fast.

Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 08:44

I know this thread is kinda old, but I think its going to be better to ask a question on an existing thread, rather than start a new thread. I know that tartaric acid can be oxidized by nitric acid to tartronic acid, which is also known as 2-Hydroxymalonic acid. My question is, can this be dehydrated to Malonic acid? I don’t think it would, but seeing as tartaric acid, or at least Pottasium hydrogen tartrate is readily available, it would be very accessible to most people.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 08:59

Of course synthesizing is fun, but this might be easier (I never worked with them, but it came up on the first page of Google).

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1004331.html
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 11:31

Jackson: no, I don't think that's a realistic possibility. Maybe it could be reduced by Pd/H2 in acid conditions, but that is literally a wild guess and not worth wasting palladium on. Plus the very similar oxidation of malic acid with nitric acid turns out to be touchy.

Perhaps some other oxidation of malic acid could work. For example, bromine water is known to convert hydroxyacids to carbonyls and H2O2 oxidizes aldehydes to acids, so maybe NaBr/H2O2 would work. However, overoxidation of malonic acid is possible.

Mush
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 16:06

potassium dichromate, water
Dessaignes; Justus Liebigs Annalen der Chemie; vol. 107; (1858); p. 251

ammonium hydroxide, dihydrogen peroxide, T= 20 °C
Subramaniam; Stent; Walker; Journal of the Chemical Society; (1929); p. 2490

silver(l) oxide
Behrend; Dreyer; Justus Liebigs Annalen der Chemie; vol. 416; (1918); p. 219

Attachment: behrend1918.pdf (1MB)
This file has been downloaded 49 times

Attachment: subramaniam1929.pdf (614kB)
This file has been downloaded 47 times

beebeautiful.org.uk used to have Cherry Fragrance Oil containing 25-50 diethyl malonate

https://beebeautiful.org.uk/shop/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/...

Attachment: Cherry-Fragrance-Oil.pdf (73kB)
This file has been downloaded 45 times

[Edited on 8-5-2020 by Mush]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 09:56

Oxidative degradation of linoleic acid with KMnO4 or H2O2/WO3 ought to generate malonic acid actually. This is extremely OTC and easy although the atom efficiency is dismal.

Extracting malonic acid from the other products -- hexanoic acid and azelaic acid -- you can probably take advantage of different solubilities in neutral water: hexanoic 1% w/w, azelaic 0.2% w/w, malonic 76% w/w.

[Edited on 8-5-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top