Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Selling Chemicals online
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-12-2023 at 19:32

You are right about shipping hazmat stuff but the issues mainly relate to private shippers like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. The only federal laws regarding shipping hazardous (but not illegal) chemicals are enforced by the DOT, but they’ll come down on you HARD if you accidentally send stuff outside of the proper channels. To do hazmat shipping i think you just need to register with the courier companies and they’ll sort out the rest. But yea, something like WFNA accidentally sent on an airliner could put you in prison.
akmetal
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-12-2023 at 02:39

Quote: Originally posted by Raid  
Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
Quote: Originally posted by akmetal  
Quote: Originally posted by Raid  
Unless you have a license and a registered lab then there a not many legal places to sell hazmat materials.

I am a registered professional engineer in chemical and electrical. Is this in reference to the USA? I did extensive research of the FARs and never seen anything requiring the lab itself needing to be registered.

The regulations came into play with DOT and Hazmat.
As a general rule, take what Raid says with a grain of salt. He often makes very confident sounding statements without actually knowing what he’s talking about. It sounds like you actually read up and understand the regulations. Raid is making assumptions based on big companies (Sigma et al) that refuse to sell to individuals. There isn’t a law against selling to individuals. They simply stand to profit the most from selling to companies and research institutions, and the minuscule profits they’d make from selling to individuals would not be worth the associated risk of those chemicals being misused, bringing them a PR headache and possibly lawsuits.

That being said, there is the real possibility that someone could sue you because a customer misused a chemical that you legally sold to them (since people can seemingly sue anyone for any reason in this country). Even though it is legal, you could still be accused of negligence. I am not a lawyer though, and I would suggest you consult one for advice on how to avoid that.

Believe it or not Texium I actually did some research on this subject and that was some of the info I found by just looking and google and some other government websites. I get what your saying about how I sometimes don't know what I'm talking about but I generally try to do at least a bit of research before posting something. I'm still new to chemistry so bear with me.
Also as a small side note your website is still vulnerable to XSS and I've told you guys before but no one seems to care.

For something to be illegal, there has to be a federal regulation explicitly prohibiting the substance. Such as the DEA drug schedule or the EPA VOC list or ATF for explosives (not precursors), although getting an ATF license isn't hard, it's hard to get a DOT license to transport it. Just someone posting something to a website doesn't mean anything.

If every object that could be dangerous was banned (or had such onerous restrictions that it wasn't profitable to produce) it would completely torpedo the entire US economy.

Its why Methane isent on the VOC list because while its technically a green house gas it would put us back into the stone age if the govt restricted it.
akmetal
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-12-2023 at 12:58

This one seems to be the ebay of chemicals - https://www.chemdirect.com/

https://www.stokkee.com/

[Edited on 30-12-2023 by akmetal]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top