Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using transition metal mineral acid salts as complexing salts with alcohol or acetylene and ammonia as aliphatic amine...
Quieraña
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-1-2024 at 17:59
Using transition metal mineral acid salts as complexing salts with alcohol or acetylene and ammonia as aliphatic amine catalysts

This idea crossed my mind today, after having watched a video by none other than chemplayer. He/she/they were exploring Calcium, using benzoic acid and acetic acid and calcium hydroxide, creating calcium benzoate and acetate in situ and distilling these together to create various interesting ketones with SOME success. I like that he/she/they got to a product this way at all, and then that those products could be propiophenone and acetophenone, although a gc-ms could've been real handy right then. The thought crossed my mind: given how successful transition metals complex with everything ammonia and amine, could it be possible to catalytically prepare primary amines like methyl thru butyl using either one transition metal salt or two or even more?. I saw a video on YouTube where another channel was generating Cobalt penta ammine complex, and I wondered if it were possible to distill off the pentamine or if it would lose a carbon for some unknown reason and become butylamine (and lose an "m" since they spell it ammine when dealing with these complexes). I know that it could be a different animal than amines in the classical sense, they certainly spell it ammine, and I take it that just means "this metal salt has got ammonia trapped in it" or does it mean "we can make this do our bidding and it's even easy and cheap and otc"? I don't yet have access to labwares, so please, be curious for a lady, huh? I hope I woke a passion in you all!!

[Edited on 4-1-2024 by Quieraña]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-1-2024 at 03:32

The term "ammine" stands for ammonia-complexes and from them it is not possible to make amines.

E.g. a well-known compound is copper(II) tetrammine sulfate mono-hydrate: [Cu(NH3)4]SO4.H2O

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
4-1-2024 at 06:37
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-1-2024 at 06:43

I’m going to repeat my last reply to one of your posts because clearly nothing has changed:
Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
From all of your posts, Quieraña, it sounds like you have not made any earnest effort to study and understand organic chemistry, and instead you make conjectures based on patterns you see but don't understand, combined with pure wishful thinking.
Be warned: next time you make a post like this it goes to Detritus without comment. Please go read an organic chemistry textbook or watch some videos that will bring you up to speed on theory. You know the story about the 5 blind men and the elephant? Well, you sound like one of them.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top