Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestions on hotplate stirrer purchase
Lawnmowerman
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-1-2024 at 14:25
Suggestions on hotplate stirrer purchase

Hello, I am debating between a used Fisher Scientific Isotemp 11-300-49SHP and a used Thermo Scientific Super Nuova SP131825Q Hot Plate Stirrer, both are 7x7. The isotemp has a max temperature of 550c and the super nuova has a max temp of 370c. The super nuova has a solid ceramic top plate, not sure of the isotemp is ceramic coated or fully ceramic. I figure the major diff between the two is the max temp range.

I am at the stage where I am mostly just collecting labware for when I can move out into a house and setup a real lab. I enjoy collecting the stuff, so don't bust my balls please. Anyway, how often does one need a hotplate stirrer with temps above 370C? The super nuova has a slightly less used appearance, so if I am unlikely to need temperatures above 370C I will probably go with that one. Both use type-k thermocouple probes (avoiding any hotplate stirrers that use pt100/pt1000 probes, as they are more expensive and hard to find good ones), and both have a timer and digital (temp+rpm) display. Any suggestions?

Here is the manual for the super nuova - https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/LED/manuals/D0166...

and here is the manual for the isotemp - https://knowledge1.thermofisher.com/@api/deki/files/7041/LT1...

Any tips or suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Lawnmowerman
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-1-2024 at 14:29
re

Both have solid ceramic tops, I just looked.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2024 at 16:57

The ceramic top is always good. I wouldn’t worry about max heat but instead wattage/power. Higher wattage = faster heating times. Also, I might be in the minority but I’ve never needed to go past 200C for anything and even then, the internals on the hotplate are pushed pretty hard for my liking. A trashed propane stove or $20 Amazon hotplate can be used for >300C stuff.

Honestly, a used IKA or scilogex is what I’d look for. They’re usually <$150 and are workhorses for whatever corrosive or generally dirty crap you’d encounter. I have two used, analog plates (the cast iron base ones not the plastic shell shit) that work great. And I just use a separate thermocouple instead of the ones included for some of the digital stirrers.

Generally, the more *features*, the more that can and will go wrong. And if you want to use RBFs, ask anyone locally with a lathe to cut a chunk of Al into a heating block; it’s not as good as a full mantle but cheaper and more reliable.

Before you buy something new or used online too, try to find local college (especially the rich ones) auctions - they get rid of perfectly fine equipment at great prices all the time.

Go To Top