Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Extraction of platinum metal from Sperrylite (PtAs2)
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 22:58

watson.fawkes:

Can you give a simple sketch on apparatus you imagine suitable for this process?

blogfast25:

After the oxygen treatment,I plan to first leach the resulting product in hydrochloric acid,which will dissolve the trace of As2O3,but not platinum.Then the undissolve substance (platinum) is treated with aqua regia,and then adding ammonium chloride to percipitate ammonium hexachloroplatinate.How does it sound?

Fleaker:

The PtAs2 sample I put on the first post isn't all crystalline mass.It is crystalline PtAs2 embed in some kind of black rock,I'm not sure what kind of rock it is.

xenomorph:

Don't worry,I myself is also a mineral lover.I'll save the unique and beautiful sperrylites.I'll use only chipped and scrap sperrylite in this experiment.On the plan to sell the mineral,I have to discuss this with my uncle first,we will see how it goes.

Arsephenamine:

I see.It would make an antidote for arsenical poisoning.

To all:

For the fine as2o3 particle,how about we introduced a system that spray fine mist of NaOH to the flask containing arsenic oxides?But I'm not sure the system is best introcued in either condensing flask,NaOH solution bath bottle or both after the roasting was done.

And,concerning this experiment require to heat the sperrylite for quite some time,I plan to use silicone stopper insted of all rubber stopper in the apparatus.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Genetic assortment is the dices of God
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 04:23

Quote: Originally posted by kuro96inlaila  

blogfast25:

After the oxygen treatment,I plan to first leach the resulting product in hydrochloric acid,which will dissolve the trace of As2O3,but not platinum.Then the undissolve substance (platinum) is treated with aqua regia,and then adding ammonium chloride to percipitate ammonium hexachloroplatinate.How does it sound?

To all:

For the fine as2o3 particle,how about we introduced a system that spray fine mist of NaOH to the flask containing arsenic oxides?But I'm not sure the system is best introcued in either condensing flask,NaOH solution bath bottle or both after the roasting was done.

And,concerning this experiment require to heat the sperrylite for quite some time,I plan to use silicone stopper insted of all rubber stopper in the apparatus.

Yes, selective leaching of the residual As from the roast maybe possible using the strongest HCl possible and using finely ground (high quality dust mask needed!) roasted ore. I’ve no experience with dissolving As in HCl but you should be able to find some relevant information on the net.

As regards capturing any fine particulate As2O3 matter using a spray, again that’s not a bad idea but will it work in practice? It depends largely on the wetting behaviour of the arsenic particles. Spraying would be best done in the last wash bottle.

I don’t much like the idea of silicone stoppers, unless they have been formulated and specified for use at some temperature. The heat and chemical resistance of silicone rubber varies HUGELY from one type to another. I’d prefer ground glass connectors, or Teflon or Viton based stoppers/connectors. Much depends on the temperatures reached of coarse but to successfully roast the ‘Satan’s Excrement’ you’ll need to reach about 800 C (or so I’d imagine). That can lead to any connectors down stream from the roasting area to seriously heat up.

Here’s an idea: ask your uncle to allow you to sell one or two fine specimens and invest the money in the best kit money can buy (as well as an antidote against As poisoning)
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 06:47

Can you give a simple sketch on apparatus you imagine suitable for this process?
I could, but I'll decline. This experiment is one where if you can't fully work out all the engineering consequences, you're at life risk.

It's occurred to me that you might proceed in doing some primary metal recovery by selling some of the sperrylite and acquiring a different primary platinum ore with fewer toxicity issues.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 06:51

Route to 5Npure Pt from Sperrylite

The Sperrylite is first classified by size, shape and crystal habit.

The material is classified, photographed, numbered and placed into lined envelopes

The photos are then uploaded into Ebay where the samples are sold off to the highest bidder.

Using the funds recovered, 5N Pt is purchased and adored.

Doing a Google search suggests that it is possible for Sperrylite to sell for up to nine times the value of an equal weight of platinum, which means it is being sold for up to fifteen times the value of the contained Pt.

This is not uncommon for the rare ores of metals - for example, gold nuggets are normally worth two to five times the value of the gold if it were rendered to bullion.

Once samples are sold, purchase a large amount of Pt bullion and enjoy. Alternatively use the money from selling several pounds of the Sperrylite to purchase the equipment to remove the Pt safely from the remaining Sperrylite.

Bottom line, you are killing the goose for a golden egg if you break the stuff down. Refining metals is a very tricky and slow science. I’d google “Hoke” and try and find her book. Until you’ve memorized it, you’re more likely to lose values then gain metal.

Even if you are only getting twice the value of the metal in selling the ore, you’re still going to have a fortune, where as if you go through with the extraction on your own you're more likely to have large amounts of toxic sludge and several beakers full of PT solutions along with whatever else dissolved in the acid leach.

If you do manage to precipitate pure Pt, you still have to melt it without blowing the dust across the room.

Do to the toxicity and complications of working with values and the needed degree of safety, it is also very possible that you will spend more money on extracting the metal then you will gain by selling whatever values you recover.

Whatever you chose, good luck!

350$ 3mm crystal
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sperrylite-Xl-Rare-Platinum-Mineral-TL-Su...

1056.00$ 3cmX4Cm piece of ore
http://www.adamsminerals.com/store/shop.php/adams-picks/sper...
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 06:57
Refining Precious Metals Wastes by CM. Hoke

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2815953/Refining-Precious-Metal-Wa...
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 07:23

Well said Neil. He can even afford to pay the 3X over spot that 5N zone refined platinum commands (as typical refining produces only 4N material).

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 10:03

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  
Route to 5Npure Pt from Sperrylite

The Sperrylite is first classified by size, shape and crystal habit.

The material is classified, photographed, numbered and placed into lined envelopes

The photos are then uploaded into Ebay where the samples are sold off to the highest bidder.

Using the funds recovered, 5N Pt is purchased and adored.

Doing a Google search suggests that it is possible for Sperrylite to sell for up to nine times the value of an equal weight of platinum, which means it is being sold for up to fifteen times the value of the contained Pt.

This is not uncommon for the rare ores of metals - for example, gold nuggets are normally worth two to five times the value of the gold if it were rendered to bullion.

Once samples are sold, purchase a large amount of Pt bullion and enjoy. Alternatively use the money from selling several pounds of the Sperrylite to purchase the equipment to remove the Pt safely from the remaining Sperrylite.

Bottom line, you are killing the goose for a golden egg if you break the stuff down. Refining metals is a very tricky and slow science. I’d google “Hoke” and try and find her book. Until you’ve memorized it, you’re more likely to lose values then gain metal.

Even if you are only getting twice the value of the metal in selling the ore, you’re still going to have a fortune, where as if you go through with the extraction on your own you're more likely to have large amounts of toxic sludge and several beakers full of PT solutions along with whatever else dissolved in the acid leach.

If you do manage to precipitate pure Pt, you still have to melt it without blowing the dust across the room.

Do to the toxicity and complications of working with values and the needed degree of safety, it is also very possible that you will spend more money on extracting the metal then you will gain by selling whatever values you recover.

Whatever you chose, good luck!

350$ 3mm crystal
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sperrylite-Xl-Rare-Platinum-Mineral-TL-Su...

1056.00$ 3cmX4Cm piece of ore
http://www.adamsminerals.com/store/shop.php/adams-picks/sper...

That good way too!
Obtaining more profit that way.
I'll discuss it later with my uncle on what to do with that huge amount of sperrylite.

But I might (just maybe) do just one experiment to find out whether it can extract platinum or not.

blogfast25:

"Satan Excrement",lol.:D
Good name for vintage looking bottle containing arsenic oxide!;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Genetic assortment is the dices of God
arsphenamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2011 at 20:57

Arsephenamine:

I see.It would make an antidote for arsenical poisoning.

Later detox research references the administration of isoamyl mono-ester of
meso dimercapto succinic acid with taurine as a superior arsenic sequestration protocol.

Lest you disregard this as irrelevant, briefly consider my account name.
lithea
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 13:59
As is extremely toxic

Lethal dose of As2O3 is cca 100 mg ! Arsine is very toxic gas !

It can be made, but not by amateurs, it is very dangerous. First of all is needed to know, if it is really sperrylite. If yes, how pure it is, what is Pt content. Ore is not homogeneous. Samples with crystals are rare, these are better to sell separately on ebay.com. Samples without crystals can be processed for Pt.

Processing let to professionals - analytical chemists with laboratories. I am an analytical chemist and geochemist, I would process it, but have no idea how to do it with borders. If you send it uninsured, it is risky and if insured, customs officers will be crazy.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top