Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clostridium acetobutylicum
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 27-4-2011 at 07:21
Clostridium acetobutylicum

Quote:

Clostridium acetobutylicum, included in the genus Clostridium, is a commercially valuable bacterium. It is sometimes called the "Weizmann Organism", after Chaim Weizmann, who in 1916 helped discover how C. acetobutylicum culture could be used to produce acetone, butanol, and ethanol from starch using the ABE process (Acetone Butanol Ethanol process) for industrial purposes such as gunpowder and Cordite (using acetone) production. The A.B.E. process was an industry standard until the late 1940s, when low oil costs drove more-efficient processes based on hydrocarbon cracking and petroleum distillation techniques. C. acetobutylicum also produces acetic acid (vinegar), butyric acid (a substance that smells like vomit), carbon dioxide, and hydrogen.

Anyone has experience or information about this bacteri?
Condition?growing?
May we can use it for making butanol and acetone like yeast condition for making ethanol?
I found place here that sell this bacteri.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-4-2011 at 08:02

Quote: Originally posted by Waffles SS  

Anyone has experience or information about this bacteri?
Condition?growing?
May we can use it for making butanol and acetone like yeast condition for making ethanol?
I found place here that sell this bacteri.

I looked into this several years ago as it looked like a fun project. The bacteria are available in the US at Carolina Biological.

Researchers at a university in Illinois were trying to optimize conditions to make butanol from corn for motor fuel. I contacted the investigator by e-mail. He said I would need sterile, anaerobic conditions to make butanol this way. I dropped the project at this point.

[Edited on 27-4-2011 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 27-4-2011 at 19:45

This works well and the fermentation is surprisingly hardy. We have a graduate student who has, thus far, proven unable to kill it :D (I kid, he's great AND Clostridia are spore-formers that are resilient). It appears to yield primarily 2-propanol and n-butanol (most of the ethanol appears related to contamination with yeast). Totally do-able, but the solvent kills the bugs once it gets to useful concentrations. The water;n-BuOH azeotrope is at 92°C and the solubility limit is around 9g/100g.

Grow 'em on sugar (media) with a butyric-acid kicker and exclude air (seal with septa or use other gas-tight technique*--they will sporulate if they get some air, so it's not La Fin Du-Monde) to get them going (this fermentation will gag-a-maggot).

Cheers,

O3

*e.g. methylene blue is a great redox indicator.

[Edited on 28-4-2011 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 28-4-2011 at 05:14

May you give me more information about your experience?
Condition? Temp...
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 26-1-2012 at 04:50

I want to know:can we do like yeast(in making wine) with this type of bacteri?can i ferment sugar into acetone and n-butanol in bottle like wine?(of course in Anaerobic condition)

[Edited on 26-1-2012 by Waffles SS]

Attachment: US1315585.pdf (102kB)
This file has been downloaded 780 times

Attachment: aem00181-0080.pdf (873kB)
This file has been downloaded 820 times

Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 10:36

I found my answer:

Quote:

Low final butanol concentration: –max. 20 g/l caused by butanol toxicity –not easy to overcome –butanol affects activities of about 200 genes, complex toxic effect on cell membrane, synergic stress effect of butyric and acetic acids; butanol tolerance is about the same for bacteria and yeasts

Attachment: phpMz2ngk (1.9MB)
This file has been downloaded 672 times

Go To Top