Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Refining Na/K From Various Processes
m1tanker78
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 14:02

I fried up a little more sodium. I intended to get an oil temp measurement but my t-couple probe is AWOL. :mad:

This is only a demonstration. I won't spell out all the dangers of doing this (but they're substantial). I used about 2oz of MOBF and the mass of the sodium scraps totaled only 3.3 grams. Still plenty enough to do serious damage if either is mishandled. It's best not to do this at all.

With that said, I know the video quality is fairly crappy. The smoke and flames masked the merging sodium scraps but the 'before and after' is made clear.

<iframe sandbox width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lxfOJvLEdcQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I need an inert HC of very low viscosity that won't foul sodium NOR the storage oil. This would be to rinse the post-strainer nuggets at RT. Butane is a little too volatile. Is naphtha or propylene ok?

EDIT:

Oops, propylene is no good. Boils at -50C! IIRC, sodium is moderately reactive in charcoal lighter fluid. Might be ok for a quick wash if I can prevent it from fouling the storage oil. Seems naphtha is similar to gasoline, a no-go.

Tank

[Edited on 5-28-2011 by m1tanker78]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2011 at 05:31

Tank:

I give you 10/10 for inventiveness and tenacity and 0/10 for safety! Your vice + propane blowtorch as a… erm… heat source is the ricketest thing I’ve seen in a while: and all to heat to nearly BP a mixture of engine oil, brake fluid and a good dollop of sodium! As they say: “don’t try this at home!” :)

Try to invest in a bunsen burner + tripod stand, or even cheaper: a small camping gas burner (anything to prevent that flammable witches brew to land on your feet, your leg or gonads, due to a clumsy move!)

Why not use a light kerosene as ‘post strainer’ solvent? Or lighter fluid? (I can’t believe I’m making that recommendation!) :o
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2011 at 05:02

Yeah, I agree that this is unsafe even at small scale. I welded a base to the oil cup to prevent it from tipping in the vice. I've been looking for a local lab supply company that will sell to li'l ol' me but with all the drug phobia, it's hopeless. I'm not too crazy about ordering gear/reagents online but I may have to bite the bullet sometime. I might just dust off my stuff today and make a functional ring stand.

Light kerosene seems like the perfect solvent but I can't get hold of any that isn't dyed red or blue. Diesel fuel is tainted with water and/or some sort of -OH 'boosters'. Same thing with bbq lighter fluid but to a lower degree (subjectively). Still, I'll try out bbq fluid for a quick dip today and see how it interacts with MO in [separate] storage.

Tank
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2011 at 11:53

Ronson lighter fluid? Fairly cheap, lighter than most keros and very OTC.
hyperkinetic
Harmless

Mood: Bedazzled

[*] posted on 29-5-2011 at 12:21

Coleman Camp fuel
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top