Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What syn. rubber is this and how do I get this?
IndependentBoffin
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 23:08
What syn. rubber is this and how do I get this?

It is a dark grey rubbery compound, described as Tacky Tape® Vacuum Bag Tape. Service Temperature Range Room Temperature to 400ºF (204ºC).

http://www.trustsm.com/products/complete.asp

I need several kilos of it for some tests and buying lots of tape to get it would cost a lot.

Can anyone identify exactly what Tacky Tape is made of (unverified sources say it is butyl rubber?) and where I can buy several kilos of it? It's density is around 1.43g/cm3.

Attachment: SM5127MSDS.pdf (23kB)
This file has been downloaded 389 times

Attachment: SM5127TDS.pdf (61kB)
This file has been downloaded 331 times

I can sell the following:
1) Various high purity non-ferrous metals - Ni, Co, Ta, Zr, Mo, Ti, Nb.
2) Alkex para-aramid Korean Kevlar analogue fabric (about 50% Du Pont's prices)
3) NdFeB magnets
4) High purity technical ceramics
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 06:35

Butyl rubber is a likely candidate but possibly compounded with all sort of things like tackifiers and plasticisers.

Also very popular in all kinds of adhesives like pressure sensitive adhesives and hot melt adhesives are block copolymers of styrene and 1,4-cis butadiene, commonly known as SBS. These are thermoplastic elastomers. Usually also compounded for enhanced tack and improved resistance to ageing (antioxidants, antiozonants).
IndependentBoffin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 06:48

Do you know where I can buy a 5kg (or so) tub of butyl rubber that is sufficiently malleable to be formed by hand?

The Tacky Tape feels a bit like plasticine but doesn't leave an oily residue, doesn't smear like plasticine and is much more rubbery. You can roll a length of the tape between your palms into a ball, and still see the folds of the tape (although everything will be stuck together). You'd have to really work it between your fingers to get a homogeneous lump from a tape, without air bubbles.

I've bought these two items:
http://www.greatart.co.uk/VULCANISED-RUBBER-LATEX-new-2011.h...
http://www.greatart.co.uk/FORMAFORMSYNTHETICRUBBERELASTICMOU...

and hope they are an adequate substitute!

I can sell the following:
1) Various high purity non-ferrous metals - Ni, Co, Ta, Zr, Mo, Ti, Nb.
2) Alkex para-aramid Korean Kevlar analogue fabric (about 50% Du Pont's prices)
3) NdFeB magnets
4) High purity technical ceramics
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 13:27

For a most malleable butyl rubber (ASTM designation IIR - isobutylene isoprene rubber) you need to look for a polymer with the lowest MW possible. Most manufacturers of synthetic elastomers don’t ‘advertise’ the MW though, instead they use a related property called ‘Mooney viscosity’, very specific to the ‘dark arts’ world of rubber. Lowest Mooney values available tend to be around 20, that’s just about kneadable by hand, certainly if heated slightly.

The major polymer producers/suppliers don’t sell to the general public and IIR really is considered a specialty elastomer, few actually produce it (look that up). Contact the petrochemical company in question and ask for the nearest agent or distributor in your area. Agents and distributors are those intermediates that deal with small to very small customers. I doubt if they will want to sell less than a bale (25 kg) though…

Note also that the development of rubber formulations and compounds for specific applications in an art in itself, as is the actual compounding. It's a long shot. If you're seriously thinking of developing an application with some commercial volume promise, the producers of SRs usually provide extensive technical assistance.

[Edited on 6-5-2011 by blogfast25]

Go To Top