Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Relatively 'safe' ammonium nitrate reactions
sternman318
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 14:21
Relatively 'safe' ammonium nitrate reactions

I have a small amount of ammonium nitrate, and I would like to excercise it's properties as an oxidizing agent and well- oxidize stuff xD I have tried multiple times to do the standard Sodium Nitrate and Sugar reaction, but it was always pretty unsatisfactory, most likely due to large particle size and poor quality reagents.

Anyways, what would you guys recommend? I don't want an explosion by any means ( unless it is somehow delayed, small scale, or otherwise 'do-able' by an amateur). Aside from sugar, I also know that powdered aluminum or magnesium work, but from what I have read these really arent that safe.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 15:27

Quote: Originally posted by sternman318  
I have a small amount of ammonium nitrate, and I would like to excercise it's properties as an oxidizing agent and well- oxidize stuff xD I have tried multiple times to do the standard Sodium Nitrate and Sugar reaction, but it was always pretty unsatisfactory, most likely due to large particle size and poor quality reagents.

Anyways, what would you guys recommend? I don't want an explosion by any means ( unless it is somehow delayed, small scale, or otherwise 'do-able' by an amateur). Aside from sugar, I also know that powdered aluminum or magnesium work, but from what I have read these really arent that safe.

It has been t---h---a---t long since I last did this!

http://tinyurl.com/5vfl99x

For the chemistry I borrow from —

Summerlin and Ealy, Jr.
Chemical Demonstrations : A Source Book for Teachers
Volume 1, Second Edition

and/or

A Shakhashiri
Chemical Demonstrations : A Handbook for Teachers of Chemistry
Volume 1

NH4NO3 (s) --- [Cl catalysts] --> N2O (g) + 2H2O (aq)

The overall reaction is probable as follows:

Zn (s) + NH4NO3 (s) ---> N2 (g) + ZnO (s) + 2H2O (g).

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 17:09

Aside from the exothermic oxidation-reduction reactions, you could dissolve it in a small amount of water to demonstrate an endothermic reaction. (It gets cold.)

You could rig a simple gas capturing apparatus and gently heat the NH<sub>4</sub>NO<sub>3</sub> to get some nitrous oxide. (Not pure enough for inhalation! Works for the 'barking dog' though.)

Reflux in solution with NaOH to produce ammonia and dissolve the evolved NH<sub>3</sub> in water, methanol, ect. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16061#...

The safety of these experiments is relative though. Except maybe the dissolution in water. It's hard to screw that one up.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 20:44

negative x - ammonium chloride you can get from the spice section in a store. grind up some pennies add the ammonium nitrate then water and it flares up. fire with water reaction as some called if you dont have ammonium chloride can use hcl but it will light it up.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 23:04

Aqueous ammonium nitrate used as an oxidising agent in organic chemistry.
sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2011 at 13:29

the ammonium nitrate and zinc reaction worked very well! I actually didnt feel like making an ammonium chloride solution, so I just made a sodium chloride solution and a drop from that did the trick! Thanks guys! And thank you for the other suggestions, but they all used chemicals or equipment out of my reach D:

Go To Top