Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ZnS solubility
terrax753
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 09:57
ZnS solubility

First off, I will admit that my understanding of solubility is sketchy at best.

Wikipedia states that the solubility of ZnS in water is negligible. What about in other solvents? Does anyone here know?

I have tried acetic acid, acetone, alcohol... It does not appear to be soluble in any of them. Then again, as already stated, I do not really understand what affects a substance's solubility in a particular solvent, as of yet.

I could keep trying various things, but I am basically shooting blind here. And I am limited by what I have on hand around the house.

Supposedly, hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid could work, but both of them would change the ZnS, to ZnCl2 and ZnSO4, respectively.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 10:09

If you type the name of a chemical into Google as well as "solubility table" or if desperate just "solubility" you'll get a whole whack of good data.

You may want to take a gander at this site http://www.solubilityofthings.com/water/ions_solubility/ksp_...
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 10:20

Damn, you beat me to it. www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

Soluble in nitric acid and other strong acids. Maybe molten halide salts.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 10:31

Solubility of salts in strong acids or alkalies generally means "soluble with reaction", HNO3 converting ZnS mostly to the sulfate. And there are few good non-aqueous solvents for ionic compounds with reasonable small cations and anions. Such compounds can be considered as polymers of the basic substance with ions bonding to all neighbors. Solvents such as water and NH3 can solvate the ions in the salt, breaking up the structure and bringing it into solution. Solvents of low polar value, without active hydrogens, can't do that; they can dissolve salts if one or both of the cations and anions is large with a sizable non-polar section - soaps dissolve to some degree in some organic solvents, NaI is soluble in acetone. Molten salts are generally polar, being a fluid mix of ions they often can dissolve ionic solids.

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 10:39

I would assume that the nitric acid would react, though, forming H2S and the corresponding zinc salt. I don't really think of that as 'soluble' per se though I often see it mentioned that way.
Zinc chloride would be a good halide salt to try, since it melts at a mere 275C and doesn't add any new anions.

Quote:
You may want to take a gander at this site

If he did, he would see that ZnS is basically insoluble in water, which he already seems to know.

I don't think typical organic solvents will do much for you. Depending on what you're trying to do, you could try a 30% sucrose solution; according to old references (Seidell) this raises the solubility of CuS, at least, from negligible to a whopping one gram per liter of solution or so. Of course that may not mean it will have any effect on ZnS at all, and in any case one gram per liter is not a practical solution for most purposes.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 11:34

@ bbartlog - Mind you if he were to take a gander and was a bit more observant then you he'd find explanations on solubility, which would help take the sketchy out of his understanding.

If you search "sphalerite solubility" you get some neat results on ZnS complexes being dissolved. If you search for "ZnS solutions" you'll find it can be deposited from soluble complexes.

And if you just say frack it and search for what you REALLY want "ZnS dissolves rapidly" you get results like this http://www.rockmagnetism.ru/articles/350.pdf

Go To Top