Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about polymerization
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 19-5-2011 at 08:18
Question about polymerization

In a strong acid solution, HBr, would lactide polymerize?

Everything I see on the web uses a catalyst. I'm not real interested in high yields or clean product, I just want to know if a noticeable amount of polymerization would happen.

I would also like to know, whether you could co-polymerize something like N-methyl lysine with lactide in acidic solution...

Lysine can co-polymerize with lactide in about 1-2% formation, which is a bit low for my studies, but it is possible. Would the theory of coplymerization still occur for N-methyl Lysine? Does the additional methyl group cause the nucleophilicity to dramatically drop on the amine?

Also, would addition to an aldehyde occur in HI acid, i.e. nucleophilic addition from an alcohol or amine? OR would HI simply reduce the aldehyde?

(I.E. would vanillin in HI acid be reduced at the aldehyde? Or would nucleophilic attack on the carbonyl be observed from an amine or alcohol? I really don't know what concepts are behind this or what I SHOULD be thinking about here, so even if you don't have the answer - I need help on HOW to think about this...)

I don't have a great knowledge of organic chemistry yet, just the interest.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 13:41

You need a catalyst, otherwise not enough energy is supplied and you would have to reflux the mixture and ramp up the temperature. If you reflux the mixture, the hydrogen bromide would come out of solution.

Go To Top