Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: is this freakin' ebay? take yer ipads elsewhere
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 23:10
is this freakin' ebay? take yer ipads elsewhere

Polverone, sorry if this is something you ok'd but what is up with these "people" (i use the term loosely) (dirty bastards) coming in here to hock ipads and watches and bullshit like that? can we rip them apart or what? this is a place for science! we can buy that garbage (like i would want one of those steve jobs abortions) on ebay or at a store. again, sorry if you ok'd this but this advertising crap is getting out of hand. i never thought i would see it here.

azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2011 at 23:14

It cant be real i think there carving you up or maybe there is free flasks in those hand bags

regards azo

Attachment: nitro3.pdf (521kB)
This file has been downloaded 904 times

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 00:41

They're spambots, not real people. They scavenge the vast Internet to ruthlessly spread their crappy knock-off products, leaving only destruction behind...

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 01:50

ha lovely
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 02:40

Is there not software out there that can block first posts containing links, while placing a ban on further posts from that IP address?

[edit]. . . even with links sneakily inserted into "quotes". . .

[Edited on 24-5-2011 by hissingnoise]
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 02:41

As I stated on one of the replies to these ads, I also received an email regarding the watches which my spam filter kindly noticed. Get some admin to delete these!
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 03:56

Click the 'report' button at the top right of an offending post, it sends a 10kV zap to the admin's chair.

[Edited on 24-5-2011 by froot]

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 04:31

They're getting so fucking annoying now that some dedicated spam-removal mod is needed - a 'spam assassin', if you will?
Someone vigilant, able to delete spam, and confer life bans . . .?

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 06:07

the real bitch of it is that whatever fucktard set this software up, it is pushing the important posts down where they will get less attention.

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 06:52

The post about the Ipads and what not much be totally deleted else there spam bot software will find the other post and feel this is the place to post more information about Ipads and such. All remains of there spam must be destroyed to prevent future indexing.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 06:59

The fact that one of these putative bots posted the bellow quoted reply in this very thread and furthermore edited it, demonstrate they are not bots but almost humans. The proof is in that bots don't have a sense of humor and don't edit posts.
(the links have been rendered harmless and the actual spam removed from above)
Quote: Originally posted by qianan  
Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
Polverone, ipad 2 casesorry if this is something you ok'd but what is up with these "people" (i use the term loosely) (dirty bastards) coming in here to hock ipads and watches and bullshit like that? ipad 2 speaker dockcan we rip them apart or what? this is a place for science! iPad2 caseswe can buy that garbage (like i would want one of those steve jobs abortions) on ebay or at a store. again, sorry if you ok'd this but this advertising crap is getting out of hand. i never thought i would see it here.

They're spambots, not real people. They scavenge the vast Internet to ruthlessly spread their crappy knock-off products, leaving only destruction behind

[Edited on 24-5-2011 by qianan]

Usually the first mood to check the reports promptly deletes all the spam, so on long term the forum is kept clean. However, I understand that the sight at all the mess before it gets cleaned is irritating.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 07:49

Thank you Nicodem! much appreciated.

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 08:22

Do we have any sort of captcha software installed for new users?

Newbies should also be forced to answer a chemistry question in order to register. How many grams of NaOH are required to neutralize 1 mol of HCl?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Do we have any sort of captcha software installed for new users?

Newbies should also be forced to answer a chemistry question in order to register. How many grams of NaOH are required to neutralize 1 mol of HCl?

My thoughts also. Make newbies conduct critical thinking in chemistry. Molar mass questions are too simple of course. It maybe good even to have several questions, like up to five. Molarity concentrations, significant figures could be other good starting questions. Some fundamental organic chemistry couldn't hurt either. In addition to the captha.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 19:09

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  

My thoughts also. Make newbies conduct critical thinking in chemistry. Molar mass questions are too simple of course. It maybe good even to have several questions, like up to five. Molarity concentrations, significant figures could be other good starting questions. Some fundamental organic chemistry couldn't hurt either. In addition to the captha.

good and bad. remember that there are newbs here that are actually here to learn. i don't think we should make anti spam provisions that exclude those with a real thirst for knowledge.

the sales garbage has been annoying but let's remember to thank the moderators and admins for weeding out the mess we have seen lately. no sooner had i reported one of these than they began taking action so they do have our backs. thank you fellas, Polverone, Nicodem, Vulture, woelen, chemoleo and anyone i have forgotten, appreciate the quick response! thanks for doing your best to keep our forum a sanctuary for science!

[Edited on 25-5-2011 by Rogeryermaw]

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-5-2011 at 21:06

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  

Make newbies conduct critical thinking in chemistry. Molar mass questions are too simple of course.

Not at all... almost all newbees could handle this question yet I bet you that dipshit a few post above trying to sell his ipad would be fucked. Its the relatively simple questions that would allow enterence to those eager to learn while keeping out the stupid door to door sales man.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 16:49

Chemistry captcha...an interesting idea.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 17:03

The smell test for prospective new members has been suggested before:
Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  

Let's ask Polverone to make a chemistry question part of the registration process for new members. Something along the lines of

Vinegar + table salt ->

(a) acetyl chloride
(b) sodium acetate
(c) sodium chloroacetate
(d) salty vinegar

Cl2 is which of the following:

(a) a transition metal
(b) an ionic solid
(c) a halogen molecule
(d) the sticky stuff that you want to know how to get out of your sudafed pills
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 17:22

The first question dont have the real answear , because it make an equilibrum.

NaCl + CH3COOH (=) CH3COONa + HCl

I never asked for this.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 19:35

that's the gag. it's a trick question. the correct answer of course is H. Washington crossing the Delaware in the year 2248 on the back of a spinosaurus. and everyone knows that table salt and vinegar makes jet pack fuel. sheesh! rank amateurs!

Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 12:47

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Not at all... almost all newbees could handle this question yet I bet you that dipshit a few post above trying to sell his ipad would be fucked. Its the relatively simple questions that would allow enterence to those eager to learn while keeping out the stupid door to door sales man.

A question asking something like to calculate the molar mass of NaCl is too easy. They can just google it. But there are molecules not on google (like say, a tartrate salt of organic bases).

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
good and bad. remember that there are newbs here that are actually here to learn. i don't think we should make anti spam provisions that exclude those with a real thirst for knowledge.

The way I'm thinking, it wouldn't prevent a single enthusiastic soul from joining. But it would make someone uninterested in chemistry more frustrated. It would just take some small searching and calculation at most.

That said, yeah, I've gotta use the report button more. I don't remember if I've even used it. But I'm not logged in much. I'm more of a lurker, here on the internet and in real life.

Until the next Dell laptop terror hits, boys....
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 15:15

if it was my i wont post an organic chem question but an coordination one....

I never asked for this.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 11:19

I am sure you have noticed that we had another plague of spammers.

We already require registration with a valid email address and have a CAPTCHA system turned on for registrations. The spam-users are often registered with Gmail addresses, and Gmail has its own CAPTCHA system. So either these spam-bots have sophisticated CAPTCHA breaking software or they have humans behind them to do the CAPTCHA solving.

I have no desire to exclude members who start out with very little chemistry knowledge, only to exclude spammers. Since these spammers are very sophisticated bots or actually have humans to handle the trickiest parts, there is no automated measure that can keep them out.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 11:44

Quote:
I am sure you have noticed that we had another plague of spammers.

Well, yes we did Polverone, now that you mention it . . .
But is a 'plague' the most fitting term for a collective of spammers?
A murder of crows is one I like but a 'what' of spammers?
A vomit, or a puke, perhaps?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 11:55

If a few of the most active, trusted members were given the wherewithall to delete spam as it as soon as it appears, then they just might be discouraged enough to quit . . .

Pages:  1  

Go To Top