Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Overhead stirrer
Ophidean
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 13:48
Overhead stirrer

I am not familiar with overhead stirring and i would like to know how to accomplish this. I used to work with magnetic stirring and reflux condenser, but now I am setting up a 12L 3-neck round bottom flask in which my magnetic stirrer wont suffice anymore(not enough power).

Now how do i use overhead stirring in this? Seeing as how I understand it you put some kind of stir-bar from the top through the neck, but at this place there will be a liebig condenser?
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 14:28

Is it not possible to put the stirrer in the center neck, and put the condenser on a side neck?

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
Ophidean
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 14:52

Hmm I guess ill just have to rearange then.
But this will not make it less efficient?
Might be a crazy thought, but just feels that way when you use a neck that is diagonal and not straight.

And a second thing: How would i use an overhead stirrer, because normally you can just put a stopper on a neck, and use a magnetic stirrer, but with an overhead stirrer you will have to keep the neck open for the stirbar? (It of course needs to be sealed for reflux condensing)

[Edited on 8-6-2011 by Ophidean]
azo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 20:34

Of course you can use mechanical stirring in the centre neck
if your setting up for simple distilation you could use a claisen still head.

regards azo:D
darel
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 21:21

They are called stir bearings and are ground glass and air tight. I have one for a 19mm driver into a 45/50 ground glass joint. They are lubricated with silicone oil or you can buy them in teflon. This solves the air tight problem. for stirring with overhead. Now you can have a condenser on one or both the remaining necks. The gasses will only go to where they can escape to atmospheric pressure the easiest. Here are a few for sale on ebay currently

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570...

I have a fancy spinning band distillation column that has the spin shaft run through the reflux condenser on top. But this is a custon piece and very costly.
Ophidean
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 01:28

Quote: Originally posted by darel  
They are called stir bearings and are ground glass and air tight. I have one for a 19mm driver into a 45/50 ground glass joint. They are lubricated with silicone oil or you can buy them in teflon. This solves the air tight problem. for stirring with overhead. Now you can have a condenser on one or both the remaining necks. The gasses will only go to where they can escape to atmospheric pressure the easiest. Here are a few for sale on ebay currently

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570...

I have a fancy spinning band distillation column that has the spin shaft run through the reflux condenser on top. But this is a custon piece and very costly.

Ah yes I see, and what would be the use of running water through them (because they seem to have connectors for this)? Or do they just have other uses except stir bearing too.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 03:01

Quote: Originally posted by Ophidean  

Ah yes I see, and what would be the use of running water through them (because they seem to have connectors for this)? Or do they just have other uses except stir bearing too.

It's for cooling. The bearings can get really hot from the friction, so water cooling is mandatory. Some models use a small reservoir you can fill with glycerol or paraffin, which serve as a coolant instead of using water.

Just run some tubing from the condenser to the bearing.

Quote: Originally posted by darel  

Pictures, please! :D

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Ophidean
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 03:41

Ok thanks! And last question, what kind of overhead stirring would I have to purchase for this, ive seen some on ebay, but they seem so small, are they powerfull enough for a 12L flask?
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 03:48

Buy one with a blade that fits in the flask (and through the joint), and most importantly, with a bar that will fit through your bearing.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Ophidean
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 05:25

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Buy one with a blade that fits in the flask (and through the joint), and most importantly, with a bar that will fit through your bearing.

Of course, but I meant like, if you have a 12L flask, filled for like 6-8L. What kind of overhead stirrer would you take? (I meant in power of course. 40W, 60W, 100W?)

[Edited on 9-6-2011 by Ophidean]
darel
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2011 at 06:40
Spinning Band Distillation Column

I believe this is what I got

http://www.brinstrument.com/fractional-distillation/fraction...

It would be the first one

I am still lookng for the interface and software to use the thing. Ebay has a few different types and can't figure out which one is correct. Also need an adapter to go from a $50/30 spherical to 24/40, 29/42 or 45/50. Ebay has given no such luck and I'm still waiting on a response from the company for hard/software. Here is a link to the thing disassembled and some of the parts.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll149/darelgreen/Spinning...

[Edited on 6-9-2011 by darel]
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 20:42
Or...

Just get a cheap electric drill and use the attachment for stirring paint.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2011 at 09:11

If you are looking for the actual teflon paddles and stirring rods and bearing shafts, I have a few sets of them for glass flasks, in 24/40 and several larger sizes. The 24/40 is not much use, as the paddles that fit through that are not big enough to do much stirring, so most people use larger ones.

A great place to see what is available for labware is the Chemglass.com website, they have their entire catalog on the web, with photos and descriptions, so you can find a part number or name for what you want along with similar items that might also work. For example, the one below is for a nice overhead stirrer system. I don't have any stirrer motors left, but have the glass shafts, bearings and paddles left.

Bob

http://www.chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-2039-A-10

Go To Top