Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hazmat, Bomb Squad Called For Boy Scout First Aid Kit
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 15:53
Hazmat, Bomb Squad Called For Boy Scout First Aid Kit

That Old Devil — Picric acid

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28219344/detail.html?hp...
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 18:18

Next they will be evacuating cities and doing a full tilt boogie hazmat response to the discovery of a bottle of mercurochrome or merthiolate.

Even a trace of thimerosol being used as a preservative in vaccines has been
decried by the anti-mercury environmentalist wackos, same as dental amalgam.

The world is full of folks who think they are in a higher orbit but whose elevator doesn't quite go to the top.
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 19:11
Yeah, and just wait...

Till they figure out what's in those Green Friendly POS lightbulbs we're being forced to buy. As an aside, consider how sheepish we've become that we happily aquiese to those morons in Congress telling us what type of lightbulbs and toilets we can have.

And what will happen? Will the idiots in Congress change things? No, I see vast new EPA growth to provide Lightbulb Disposal Technicians. All members of the Fed union. And armed in case they find any unauthorized incandescent bulbs.

Well not hard to tell which mood AB is in. Or is it??
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 19:29

Hehehe... I use mercurochrome in my first aid kit. Better lock it in a buried safe :)
It is ridiculous that anyone regulates light bulbs. Why is it so hard for them to promote the more energy-efficient alternatives and improve price/availability instead of eliminating incandescents?
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 19:48

I'm pretty sure there is a mixture of dioxygen, Methyl hydride and Sulfur hydride in the pipes under my street! I better call 911! :o

Edit: As far as light bulbs go, the fluorescent bulbs can vastly increase a houses carbon foot print. If you do not run a fluorescent for more then 15 minutes every time they it is turned on, you cause it to stress and vastly reduce its lifetime; sometimes down below that of an incandescent. They have significantly more energy invested in their creation which means that when they burn out early, bigger carbon foot print.

If you have Nuclear, hydro, rabbits or even natural gas as your electrical power provider, you also can up your footprint by putting in the new bulbs. In the winter the "waste" energy from the bulbs heats the rooms in your home. If your home is heated by burning oil or wood, you have to burn more fuel to make up for the heat which is no longer being generated by the lights which were powered by a less carbon heavy energy source.

Personally I switched to 100% fluorescent, did some more reading and switched half way back to incandescent. I feel that this mixture gives me an almost optimum system.

But why educate when you can ban?

[Edited on 14-6-2011 by Neil]
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2011 at 20:40

Interesting point. The incandescent specialty bulbs in the kitchen are no longer manufactured, so my dad switched to CFL's. When they are turned on, they glow dim-purple for a couple minutes. The old-fashioned fluorescent-tube lamp in my room glows the same way when the ballast is used. When the ballast is used when the tube has been running for a while, it gives the same result. I wonder what this means.
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 01:41
I haven't been impressed...

I live in Asia and our apartment is completely done in those new, expensive things. And they burn our far more quickly than incandescent bulbs. I'm always replacing those POS new things.

Now maybe the power here has to do with it, 220V/50cycle; but they have been a big failure in my place. Luckily here no one worries about what you do with them when they go bad.
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 01:48
Another one bites the dust...

Our EPA is restricting the sale of certain rat and mice poisons. Once again to "protect the children". Dang how come we didn't get all that protecting growing up?

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/epa-bans-many-household-rat-...

Now when I'm home this summer I'll have to stock up on that. But I'm running out of storage space for all the stuff we used for decades that we're now to stupid to be trusted with. Let's see:

Shelf 1: Old fashioned toilets
Shelf 2: Incandescent light bulbs
Shelf 3: Primatene Mist. The 100% epinephrine stuff to be banned by year's end.
Rat poison: Hmm, I guess I could put it in the toilet bowls...
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 05:13

Public safety is generally the lie used to justify whatever control freaks desire to impose on those who are to be controlled. And the unintended (or intended) collateral negative consequences which may occur...well hell, that's just the cost of doing business "their way" which is of course the "right" way, unless of course you happen to be "them", and therefore entitled to an exemption under the double standard rule which guarantees the control freaks get their own way just because they say so, irregardless of the rules which deliver to everyone else the shit end of the stick. There you go....that's the entire theory of world administrative theory in a nutshell.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 06:16

Quote: Originally posted by albqbrian  
I live in Asia and our apartment is completely done in those new, expensive things. And they burn our far more quickly than incandescent bulbs. I'm always replacing those POS new things.

Now maybe the power here has to do with it, 220V/50cycle; but they have been a big failure in my place. Luckily here no one worries about what you do with them when they go bad.

check the run time thing. If you get a machete, survival pack and BS detector and then spend the next day reading back through the manufactures literature you find out all sorts of variables, like run time, which turn the hour life they promise into a fraction of what they deliver.

And if all fails claim that ~100 cycle flicker gives you migraines and that you need the incandescent bulbs. I think in the UK people can actually get a subscription for non flickering bulbs because of this.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by Neil  

And if all fails claim that ~100 cycle flicker gives you migraines and that you need the incandescent bulbs.

LOL! That'd be fighting fire with.... fire. They hate when you borrow their tactics to oppose them. With the O-squad ramming this Panacea B.S. down our throats, we may have to wait a few months to see a MD for our 'migraines'. ;)

It buys 'em just enough time to give a few more private industries the 'shakedown'. They serve this shit faster than we can digest it!

Now I'm off to hide my first aid kits and combat lifesaver bags and to hide or destroy my son's Boy Scout stuff. :o Ok, that was a stretch but self-reliance isn't exactly popular in the eyes of ANY bureaucracy. In this context, Boy Scouts and Amateur Chemists aren't so different...

Tank
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 11:34
The problem is political

The problem is political. There is nothing a politician likes more
then to spend tax payers’ money on something they can showoff
e.g., a bight-red, shinny HazMat truck with flashing red lights,
sirens and lots of chrome, equipped with more instruments then
the chemistry building at the local college. Now comes the
problem – what to do when one of the voters asks — What the hell
is it good for?! So it has to be put to use. Not that long ago if there
was a truck accident and a gallon or two of diesel fuel was spill on
the road. The local tow company showed up swept up the broken
glass and threw a couple of shovels full of dirt on the spilled fuel
and drove off with the wreck. Not now! Now the bright red truck –
lights flashing – siren whaling rolls up. Hazmater’s jump out in
their hazmat suits – take samples back into the truck and assuming
the instrumentation is A- working B- anyone knows how to use it
C- how to interpret the results, confirms what their noses had
already told them – its diesel fuel.

After consulting the onboard library they determine they cannot
leave until every last molecule of diesel has been removed from
the road. This requires closing the road to traffic for 16-hours.

Reminds me of SWAT Teams. Apparently you can’t be a serious
police department if you don’t have a SWAT team — if you need
one or not. You can always invent uses for one.

A few years ago some college PD started a SWAT team. Asked
“What da F---- for?” Well the President may visit the college
someday and we would be available to protect him…..

Another small town’s SWAT Team was practicing assaulting tall
buildings, conveniently overlooking the fact that the tallest building
in town was 3-stories tall.
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 15:36

"The problem is political."

This problem does not just occur in government but in all organizations. Give a person a job and they want to expand it so that they can make more money, get more power or just feel important. This is fine if there is a useful purpose for them to do but if not they just end up creating work for everyone else. In large corporations you end up with more people monitoring the progress of the people doing the work than people actually doing the work. Imagine how bad it is going to become now that we have outsourced all the real work to China.

Maybe we should be reducing working hours to 20 per week so then more people can have productive jobs. Or maybe say the world is ending, build an "Ark" for all the middle managers, phone sanitizers and HazMat workers and send them off to Mars.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2011 at 19:50

Quote: Originally posted by gregxy  
"The problem is political."

This problem does not just occur in government but in all organizations. Give a person a job and they want to expand it so that they can make more money, get more power or just feel important. This is fine if there is a useful purpose for them to do but if not they just end up creating work for everyone else. In large corporations you end up with more people monitoring the progress of the people doing the work than people actually doing the work. Imagine how bad it is going to become now that we have outsourced all the real work to China.

Sounds perfect, what an opportunity! We can outsource all of the bureaucracy to china! Not only did they invent and perfect it several hundred years ago, they also have the man power!:D

Even though I can see its progression and can see it happening I still do not understand how people whose parent's parents happily toted bags with vials of picric acid, used Xrays to see how shoes fit and dumped chlorate on annoying plants - now tremble at the thought of this mysterious and highly toxic form of matter called "chemicals".

It's like a lions offspring deciding to be afraid of ants.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2011 at 17:32

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  
The problem is political. There is nothing a politician likes more
then to spend tax payers’ money on something they can showoff
e.g., a bight-red, shinny HazMat truck with flashing red lights,
sirens and lots of chrome, equipped with more instruments then
the chemistry building at the local college. Now comes the
problem – what to do when one of the voters asks — What the hell
is it good for?! So it has to be put to use. [.....]

Post-9/11 funds are a perfect example of this. The local politicians scrambled and fought for some crumbs. It's ironic that some of the same 'open border' clowns cited 'border security' in order to get a bigger cut. Shit rolls downhill. :(

Tank

Go To Top