Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phenylethanolamine from styrene
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 13:56
Phenylethanolamine from styrene

Styrene could be reacted with TCCA in aqueous acetone to yield the chlorohydrin:

http://www.uff.br/sbqrio/download/spotilight/132.pdf

The chlorohydrin could then be reacted with an excess of alcoholic ammonia to yield phenylethanolamine, via nucleophilic substitution:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/nucsub/ammonia.html

It looks like a pretty straightforward set of reactions. Any reason it wouldn't work?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 17:35

The magic 8-ball that is searching Google Books and looking at that revealed by "snippet view" indicates this should work. There is at least one book that mentions reacting styrene chlorohydrin with ammonia or alkylamines. Several others mention using styrene and substituted styrene epoxides, which I think should behave similarly here. I don't know if poly-alkylation will be sterically inhibited or if you need a large excess of ammonia as you would with simple ethylene chlorohydrin. Ammonia is cheap, probably safer to try large excess at least to start. Let us know how this goes!

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 18:11

It will definitly work, the question is which isomer will you get. For styrene you will get very predominantly 2-phenyl ethanolamine however for propenylbenzenes the product distribution starts getting muddy.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 18:38

has any one of you worked with styrene monomer personally?
reason i asked, i wanted to know how tempremental it is and what conditions to avoid since it's so highly reactive.
it's useful for so many things.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 18:52

also...this is not simple SN2. Predominantly it is deprotonation/cyclization to the epoxide and then nucleophilic ring opening.

I believe nicodem spoke of making this exact compound from styrene. Maybe PM him if he doesn't stop by.

[Edited on 6-28-2011 by smuv]

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 20:20

I've worked with styrene monomer. I ordered a gallon several years back from a fiberglass place. I still have most of it. I poured some of it into a small glass bottle for easier handling -- bad idea. It had thickened to the consistency of cold maple syrup 6 months later. The stuff that I have in the original plastic jug is still perfectly fluid. I'm not sure why the material in the jar started to polymerize. I thought if anything that glass would reduce oxygen diffusion and slow polymerization. Maybe it was light exposure -- I used a clear jar rather than amber glass.

I've also made a small quantity of (mostly) styrene starting from polystyrene packing peanuts. First I dissolved them in acetone and let the acetone evaporate to get a higher-density solid. Then I dry distilled fragments of the plastic from a test tube using an open flame directly on the tube. I obtained a clear, colorless, fluid distillate that smelled the same as my commercial monomer. It was oxidized all the way to benzoic acid with alkaline potassium permanganate since I didn't have any special need for an extra mL of styrene monomer. Based on later reading I presume that my "styrene monomer" prepared this way also contained lightweight styrene oligomers, benzene, ethylbenzene, etc. Anyone who needs pure styrene monomer and starts from polystyrene is advised to search the archives here and prepare to put in more effort on characterization and purification than I did those years ago. For many reactions benzene and alkylbenzenes aren't going to interfere anyway, so the primary goal is just fully disassembling the polymer.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 20:48

thanks for that bit of wisdom.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 10:11

Styrene chlorohydrin can react with ammonia trough the corresponding oxirane. The reaction of the oxirane with ammonia is known [1]. Heating styrene oxide with 4-fold amount of NH3(aq) at 90-125 °C gives an 18% yield of 2-amino-1-phenylethanol (in the fraction having bp 146-196 °C at 16 mbar), the rest apparently being dialkylation products (bp 186-235 °C at 5 mbar) and their cyclization product 2,6-diphenylmorpholine, which is probably formed during the distillation.
When using styrene chlorohydrin, this must first cyclize to the oxirane, which gives one equivalent of ammonium chloride. The reaction mixture would thus consist of an ammonia/ammonium buffer. This would somewhat inhibit the dialkylation by in situ amine protection by protonation (amines are about 10 times more basic than ammonia). I would estimate the yield could be thus improved to about 20-40%, particularly with an higher excess of ammonia (use of a cosolvent could also help).
The authors compared the reaction of styrene oxide and its chlorohydrin with diethanolamine and found the oxide gives a better yield (89% vs. 63%), but they used different and aqueous conditions for the chlorohydrin which requires the presence of a base. With ammonia you already have to use aqueous conditions and its excess provides the basic conditions required for the cyclization to the oxirane.

UTFSE for more info on SN2 substitutions and why is it near to impossible to monoalkylate ammonia with 1°-alkylating reagents (this has been explained a dozen times already!).

Obviously, such a synthesis of 2-amino-1-phenylethanol is crap, as there are better ways to do this from styrene oxide via the Delepine reaction. Selectivity is a non-issue and yield quantitative [2].

[1] J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1945, 67, 516–518. DOI: 10.1021/ja01220a004

[2] Arch. Pharm. 1959, 292, 761.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 10:27

I haven't fully read this thread yet so sorry if its been said but look around and you will find that epoxidation of Styrene will form 2-Amino-1-phenylethanol selectively thru Aminolysis in Ammonia hydroxide solution.

This appears to eliminate the issues that would arise from attempting to perform an SN2 on the halogen where if not enough Ammonia is present you will yield a mixture of products.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 11:12

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
I haven't fully read this thread yet so sorry if its been said...

Read the post above yours.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 28-6-2011 at 18:28

Sorry your absolutely right, I was in a rush when I wrote that but I was looking into this same synthesis a month or so ago just to find Styrene has been pulled from the shelf around here so I could never attempt it. Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in while it was still on my mind.

Nicodem is correct, proceeding thru styrene oxide is the way to go. The patents I was reading suggested using concentrated Ammonia hydroxide solutions but surely Hexamine would suffice as the ammonia source in the reaction and more then likely do away with a large amount of bulk to the reaction mixture.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 06:24

Huh, apparently you can use ammonium acetate as the ammonia source, and do this reaction neat in a microwave. Styrene oxide is just as easy to make as styrene chlorohydrin, so that wouldn't change things much. Granted, the attached paper is an Indian one, but there's plenty of literature out there supporting the idea that microwaves assist epoxide ammonolysis.

Attachment: ethylamine.pdf (56kB)
This file has been downloaded 983 times

National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 02:50

N2O4 reacts with alkenes to form a mixture of products, but under the right conditions I believe it gives a good yield of a-nitro b-nitrite/nitrate. And it is selective, the c-nitro will always be on the least substituted carbon. There's lots of literature out there on the N2O4+alkene reaction. I think it proceeds at room temp too. The nitroester is rapidly hydrolyzed to the nitroalcohol. I'm sure you could find quite an easy method to reduce the nitroalcohol to the aminoalcohol with a little searching. N2O4 is pretty simple to make by a number of ways, especially since this reaction could utilize N2O4 diluted in other gasses, and the presence of O2. Dissolving Cu in HNO3, heating Cu(NO3)2, etc.. Adding some air to the nitrogen oxide gas mixture will help your yield by oxidizing it more completely to N2O4, especially if made by dissolving metals. The only issue may be contamination with phenylethylenediamine. It can't be that tough to separate.

[Edited on 1-7-2011 by 497]

Go To Top