Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boyles Law (disturbing)
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:38
Boyles Law (disturbing)

Boyle's law is given as P*V = Constant. Note that there being no exponent in that formula, a P vs V graph should form a line. The typical caveat being "ideal gas". Given the period of Boyle, it is doubtful he would have had any access at all to pure gases, let alone highly purified gases that closely approximate "ideal": it is almost certain he was using air.

Amazon sells a cheap Boyle's law demonstrator: a stock syringe glued into a block with a board glued to the plunger. You stack weights on top and read the change in volume as cc's on the side. I made this, and was testing it friday night . Given the materials and processes available to Boyle/Hooke, it's difficult to argue they had superior instruments. Qualitatively it successfully demonstrates the obvious: gas is a compressible fluid. There is also a clear problem: an airtight seal requires pressure between wall and plunger. This in turn creates a frictional force that must be overcome. The first expectation from that would be that the change in volume from the first state (zero) to the second state (first weight) would be less than the delta between the second and third state assuming the first and second weights are the same. This could be anticipated to cause a portion of the force of gravity that should be converted into pressure causing downward force is getting soaked up to overcome friction. So one could expect that second point on the graph would be a little off. But because of P*V=C all the subsequent points should fall on a line.

Given all that wind up, I'll skip to the issue. I did this several times, being very careful: it's not a straight line relationship. Each time, the graph forms the prettiest little logarithmic curve what ever you want to see.

So....what am I missing/doing wrong? Why am I not getting Boyle's pretty straight line?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 05:01

P*V is a constant, so P is inversely proportional to V.

A P versus V graph (or a V versus P graph) will be hyperbolic with a horizontal and a vertical asymptote.

If you draw P versus 1/V then you get your nice line.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 05:14

Wow....I'm an r-tard.

How could I have missed that? I just looked at it and said, "no exponent, it must be a straight line"!

Geez....I need to delete this thread or the state is going to repo my professional certification. (Which I am now embarrassed to mention).

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 22:37

Don't feel embarrassed. Every person has his blonde moments ;)

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 13:45

PV=nRT
Both sides are in units of energy, IIRC (you can check my math).
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 13:49

P = F/A
A = l^2 = length squared
V = l^3 = length cubed
PV = F/l^2(l^3) = F times distance = energy

where:
F = force
P = pressure
V = volume