Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I have a problem with gas coming out of aqua regia
distorto
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2011 at 20:13
I have a problem with gas coming out of aqua regia

In my laboratory we always dissolve gold with aqua regia. (3:1 conc.HCl + conc.HNO3) And we've found that our fume hood is going to broken.

I seems that the reaction produce red-brown gas (I think it's N2O2) that destroy rubber, metal and pump. I also believe that there are many oxidizing transparent gas coming out too.

The question is what should I do to protect the fume hood? Is water trap going to work? And how to apply the water trap.

Thanks.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2011 at 20:53

Yes, aqua regia decomposes to release NO2, NOCl, and Cl2, all of which are very nasty. Work in a fume hood or do the reaction in a container where you can lead the gasses under water. Be sure to use a suck back trap.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-7-2011 at 23:37

The usual way that I have dealt with acid fumes is to expose concentrated ammonia solution. The ammonia fumes will neutralise the acid fumes. But you will get visible smoke, and that might alarm some people even though the smoke is much less harmless than the invisible acid fumes.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 05:59

Isn't urea the recommended scrubber solution? I do all these nitric based dissolutions in open air when there's a bit of wind available...
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 10:31

I use urea crystals for NO2 and it is by far the best. Come to think of it I know it absorbs chlorine as well, but I'm not sure about NOCl.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday

Go To Top