Printable Version  
Author: Subject: butane
Megamarko94
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 09:53
butane

does butane react with HCl or HNO3 OR H2SO4
my gues if the first one if can react that would give 1-chlorobutane right..

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 10:09

No, not under anything near standard conditions. Push things and you can get reactions, HNO3 reacts with alkanes at 400 C or so. Read any introduction to organic chemistry book published after 1820 or so for further information.

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 10:10

Under what conditions do you propose? Bubbling butane through a concentrated aqueous solution on the bench will do nothing, but vapor phase reactions (such as with nitric acid to produce nitroalkanes) are known. In the case of HCl, you'll probably want a radical initiator, and in general you'll get a mixture of products. Sulfuric will not react with butane to any appreciable extent to the best of my knowledge.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
29-7-2011 at 11:40
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 14:56

I'm pretty sure HCl will not react with alkanes at all, even with a radical initiator. To form H2 and a chlorohydrocarbon just seem really unlikely. The reaction does proceed with chlorine gas, however.

CH4 + Cl2 => CH3Cl + HCl

The bond dissociation energy of Cl2 is much less than the dissociation energy of HCl.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 16:06

Almost anything will react if you heat it hot enough or put in enough energy in some other way.
It may not be a useful preparative method but it will produce sone product!
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 16:28

Concentrated nitric acid will very slowly attack butane, giving various oxidation products. If it is above 90% concentration, there will likely be some tetranitromethane produced.

Sodium bromide (or use bromate) may possibly act as a catalyst for the reaction, generating reactive bromine radicals.

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Go To Top