Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PVDF substrate MnO2 anode
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 17:50
PVDF substrate MnO2 anode

Today I have buy 1 feet of 1/2 inch PVDF rod , PVDF is somewath solube in acetone and , as a fluoro polymer it is very inert , it melt at 170 degree C , I have atempt to make MnO2 by , taking a Manganese sulfate solution and adding 5% NaOCl , filtering the hydrous MnO2 and mixing it with acetone , then I rub the mixture on the rod , witch was coated with a sticked layer of MnO2 , when I was testing I found it was very restrictive for the current , wat do I did wrong?

If you ave better idee than mine , or explication , please post.

thanks!!!

[Edited on 3-8-2011 by plante1999]

[Edited on 3-8-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 18:08

Try thermally decomposing manganese nitrate on to it. If current flow is still restricted then the mno2 might be passivating the PVDF. Try thermally decomposing cobalt nitrate on to the rod prior to applying the mno2. This works very well with titanium.

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 04:35

Wath is the temperature of decomposition of Manganese nitrate?

I never asked for this.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 08:58

Wikipesdia it. Under 300 c I believe

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 09:15

I cannot heat to 300degree C , the rod melt at 170...

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 10:59

I attempted to melt the PVDF with MnO2 and , the anode is still non conductive , i need to sand paper it....

any sugestion?

I never asked for this.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 11:53

Try with thermally decomposing a layer of cobalt nitrate. Prior to decomposing the mn nitrate on it

White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 12:04

I'm a little confused.

"PVDF is commonly used as insulation on some kinds of electrical wires, because of its combination of flexibility, low weight, low thermal conductivity, high chemical corrosion resistance, and heat resistance."

Why would you try to make an anode from a polymer material? No wonder your anode has a high electrical resistivity.

Am I missing something? There are a million other substrates you can use, why would you use plastic?
m1tanker78
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 12:06

Have you tried using the polymer as a binder rather than just the substrate for the MnO2 to stick to?
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 12:12

because it is the only substrate I find at 20 minute of walk from my house and it is very inert , more than titanium.

M1tanker78 : No I dont have try but it cost my 10$ to buy 1 feet , so I dont want to destroye the rod.

I never asked for this.
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 14:23

The problem is that the thin film of manganese dioxide with have an extremely high resistance because of its very small cross sectional area coupled with its already very high electrical resistivity.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 14:27

should I change for powdered lead acid battery PbO2 powder in place of the higly non conductive MnO2 , I have about 200 pound of Lead Acid battery , my fatter work with Pb battery , and keep the good for me....

thanks again for reply.

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 15:18

Powdered PbO2 is no good. there is no way to reliably deposit PbO2 powder on any surface whatsoever, electrically conductive or not. Usually PbO2 is electrolytically deposited on anode surfaces. Alas, the surface needs to be ultra clean, rough and relatively inert, but this can still be done.

I'm trying to make MMO anodes as well. I found some transition metal oxides that might be used in such anodes, I thought you might be interested:
VO
NbO
RuO2
Co2O3
RhO2

I have yet to figure out which semiconductor oxides might also be useful for anode making.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 16:49

Jasus lads!!!!!!!

The more I read this board the more I realizise the vast quantities of patience the regular posters have when answering queries.
@Plant1999
The coatings that you will put onto something plastic (non conducting substrate) by your method are far far too thin and will not be able to carry sensible currents when the Anode goes into operation. The coating may not carry any current at all as the paste (Acetone + MnO2) is probably non conducting.
Lead Dioxide Anodes made this way are a shitty Anode too.
Quote:
"because it is the only substrate I find at 20 minute of walk from my house and it is very inert , more than titanium"
Perhaps you need to buy a bicycle and go a mile or three!!!
EBAY comes to mind.
If you cannot use EBAY then go to your local welding shop and they may be able to order a sample of Titanium welding rods for you. These are about one mm in diameter and will do for experimenting.
What happened with the Aluminum substrate Anode you made. Did it not last for weeks??? (I have me doubts but never mind). You never posted the details.
Post the details.
I have not made that many Anodes, just talked about them alot :D

@#Maverick#
You said:
"If current flow is still restricted then the mno2 might be passivating the PVDF."

Passivate PVDF!
If you say that again I will recommend you to the moderator who administers the Sciencemadness slaps, for (at least) 6 hard slaps!
Do you know what the statement 'passivated Titanium' means?

Dann2
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2011 at 18:17

Wath about disolving PVDF in boiling DMSO (where can I optain this(DMSO)) to make syrup of PVDF (the same syrup they sell for making PVDF electrode. Than thake a 3/8 inch straw an fill it with : fine MnO2 or PbO2 mixed with PVDF syrup and press a rod of 3/8 inch inside the straw to make a compact conductive electrode/rod , lets dry the DMSO to get an hard rod , take a cutter and cut the plastic straw ? Than make electrolitic coat of MnO2 or PbO2 on the rod?

@Maverick

You said:
"If current flow is still restricted then the mno2 might be passivating the PVDF."

1: PVDF is an EXTREMLY INERT fluoro polymer.
2: Passivate mean coat a conductive material with an non conductive one (exemple : TiO2 for titanium.)
3: PVDF is already non conductive....

@everyone

If you want to find PVDF rod simply search for a plastic store near your home , ask for PVDF rod ?/8 inch dont ask more than 2 feet or it will cost you high amount of money.

I never asked for this.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 02:49

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
........ Than thake a 3/8 inch straw an fill it with : fine MnO2 or PbO2 mixed with PVDF syrup and press a rod of 3/8 inch inside the straw to make a compact conductive electrode/rod ,........

This rod will not be conductive as the plastic syrup will insultate each individual particle of MnO2 or Pb02 and you just end up with a non-conducting rod.
Try it and see. If it works I will eat my boots!!
Dann2
White Yeti
National Hazard

smile.gif posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:03

I'm with dann2 on this one.
Although, it would be interesting to see him eat his boots :)
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:08

Where I can find DMSO? , Even if I ad only a little of PVDF syrup it will make all the rod non conductive? In fact I want to make a PVDF substrate because it is for Chlorate/bromate/ozone cell particuliary for examining the possibility to replace nitric by chloric or bromic acid , So I cannot use titanium.

Any idee here about PVDF substrate anode?

thanks!!!

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 11:41

Nobody kow something about tha last post i made ? (Where I can find DMSO)

I never asked for this.
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 12:20

Why bother using DMSO? Just get a titanium electrode and start plating metal oxides onto it. There is no reason what so ever to use plastic to make an anode.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 18:07

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
Why bother using DMSO? Just get a titanium electrode and start plating metal oxides onto it. There is no reason what so ever to use plastic to make an anode.

Quote:

In fact I want to make a PVDF substrate because it is for Chlorate/bromate/ozone cell particuliary for examining the possibility to replace nitric by chloric or bromic acid , So I cannot use titanium.

I never asked for this.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2011 at 05:24

I recall reading about some varieties of conductive thermo-plastics. I can't find the info ATM but I pondered the use of such a polymer for binding lead dioxide (any conductive oxide, actually). I expect the electrical resistance would initially be rather high but that can partly be overcome by using a larger cross-section of material.

I've had very satisfactory results with my chlorate cell using plain old graphite gouging rods and frit filtration. The anode can be made to last a long time if you keep the pH in a narrow range, use proper current density, temp, etc...

As far as DMSO, I'm almost certain one of the member [external] websites had a detailed synth (bromicacid?)

Tank

Go To Top