Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any Israelis here?
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 04:12
Any Israelis here?

Hello,

I am thinking about accepting a short postdoc placement in Israel lasting a year.

Can any Israelis here please let me know what the law and behavior of the authorities are with regard to:

1) Home chemistry labs
2) Amateur rocketry hobby
3) Energetic materials - propellants, pyrotechnics and explosives
4) Acquisition of chemicals
5) General inventing - high voltage circuits, pulse forming networks, etc.

Obviously I have no terrorist affiliations and fortunately a clean criminal record in the few countries I have been resident in.

Thanks.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 07:21

Hello,
I'm from Israel.
First of all I don't know much about the law, but I think that the behavior of the authorities is what really matters (there isn't any law against those things as far as I know).

1)I own a home chemistry lab, and some of my neighbors know about it. I didn't encounter any problems at all.
2)There are numerous forums in Hebrew dedicated to thing hobby, If you want to do stuff that make noises, I'd assume just go to an area that is far from people, if you don't interrupt anyone, it shouldn't be a problem, again, it is not a forbidden thing.
3)I do not know about the legality of owning those sort of things, but the authorities here are pretty reasonable, if it is properly stored and you don't have insane amounts of explosives, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
4)Acquisition of chemicals is also quite easy, I got a large chemical supply company not far from me that basically sells me everything I need, of-course there are stuff that you can buy only in 1kg/l-500g/ml at a single purchase (such as sodium nitrate/chloroform). There more serious thing are quite expensive at that company, but customs will let basically any chemical in, I didn't had a single problem with phosphorus, iodine or malonic/fenamic acids.
5)Don't got a clue about that.

At which city they are offering you this placement?
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by Mixell  
Hello,
I'm from Israel.
First of all I don't know much about the law, but I think that the behavior of the authorities is what really matters (there isn't any law against those things as far as I know).

1)I own a home chemistry lab, and some of my neighbors know about it. I didn't encounter any problems at all.
2)There are numerous forums in Hebrew dedicated to thing hobby, If you want to do stuff that make noises, I'd assume just go to an area that is far from people, if you don't interrupt anyone, it shouldn't be a problem, again, it is not a forbidden thing.
3)I do not know about the legality of owning those sort of things, but the authorities here are pretty reasonable, if it is properly stored and you don't have insane amounts of explosives, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
4)Acquisition of chemicals is also quite easy, I got a large chemical supply company not far from me that basically sells me everything I need, of-course there are stuff that you can buy only in 1kg/l-500g/ml at a single purchase (such as sodium nitrate/chloroform). There more serious thing are quite expensive at that company, but customs will let basically any chemical in, I didn't had a single problem with phosphorus, iodine or malonic/fenamic acids.
5)Don't got a clue about that.

At which city they are offering you this placement?

Shalom, thanks for the information. It sounds like I can leave most of my chemicals in storage and buy what I need for my hobby/experiments over there.

I've been offered placements at either TAU or Technion, to start in the new year.

I'm hoping to make a preliminary visit around November to find a place to stay, meet the academics I would be working with and generally come to a decision.

Currently learning Hebrew on my own. Aleph, bet, gimel, dalet, he, vav, zayin, ...

To da ra ba :)
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 08:41

Bevakasha :)

I would suggest the Technion, but ma y be because its in the city I live in and I'm probably going to do a degree there after the army.

At what do you specialize? Electrical engineering?
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2011 at 08:49

Quite a close guess, check your U2Us :)

Go To Top