Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Friedel-Crafts using a diacetate and hydrolysis to aldehyde?
notmydayjob
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 09:35
Friedel-Crafts using a diacetate and hydrolysis to aldehyde?

I am having difficulty understanding a reaction about half way down on page 76 of the following PDF:

http://mmagniez.free.fr/chimie/parfums/ChemTechFlav.pdf

It states: "Isopropylbenzene (135) undergoes a Friedel–Crafts
reaction with a protected form of methacrolein, the diacetate, to form an enol acetate (136) which is readily hydrolysed to the aldehyde [19]."

My questions are:

1. How does hydrolysis yield an aldehyde? I thought the result would be an alcohol.

2. Why would they use methacrolein instead of 2-methylpropanal which is much cheaper? I don't see how the double bond to carbon would affect the result.

Thanks in advance for any help!

[Edited on 12-9-2011 by notmydayjob]

[Edited on 12-9-2011 by notmydayjob]
Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 11:48

those double bonds make all the difference in the world. It gives a conjugated pi system that allows electrons from the terminal carbon of the alkene to migrate to the oxygen atom.

Go read this:

http://chemistry2.csudh.edu/rpendarvis/a-carbaldol.html

especially the portion on alpha-beta unsaturated carbonyls。

As for hydrolysis yielding the aldehyde,The reason it yields the aldehyde is the double bond is there. enols spontaneously tautomerize to aldehydes and ketones: typically the carbonyl form is favored.
notmydayjob
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-9-2011 at 20:34

Chordate,
Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction and describing how the enol tautomerizes to the aldehyde! Did quite a bit of reading and I can see now why that is necessary.

One more question, I hope you don't mind! And I'm not sure if it is easy to tell from the very terse description of the reaction that they provide, but I can't seem to figure out exactly how they are performing the Friedel Crafts acylation of the ring. I don't think they are starting with a halogenation of the ring, and I don't think they are using an acid anhydride to form a ketone on the ring (as then they would have a ketone, and I certainly don't see one there).

I think they are using a lewis acid to simultaneously remove the acetoxy groups from the acylal such that acetic acid is formed when a proton is removed from the benzene ring to form acetic acid. Then somehow the other acetoxy group migrates? Unless there is some kind of 1,3-diacetoxy-2-methyl-propene isomer of methacrolein diacetate (actually not sure that would be the right name for the isomer).

In any case, any help appreciated as I am totally confused about the Friedel crafts mechanism that is going on in this case too.

Go To Top