Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fume Hood Venting Idea
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 17:20
Fume Hood Venting Idea

Okay-

I am pretty young- 15 years old. So I still live with my mom and dad. The only place I can set up a lab is in the basement. I have been working on an idea for a fume hood for a LONG time now- and I am near the climax.

So... a couple days I went to Sears outlet and got a nice range hood that was scratched for $40. I put on an expensive duct costing $10 more. I am making the hood box out of shelving material for it's flame and chem resistence. I also bought various dryer ducting supplies (I know aluminum isn't corrosion resistant, but when air is moving thru a 4" diameter tube 10' long at 160 cfm, I don't thing it would do much damage.). The shelf and ducting supply was $70. So far I am almost at my $150 budget. My dad can get me lexan for nearly no cost... this is gunna be one epic hood! One issue... Because it's my parents house I don't want to destroy it by putting in a dryer vent and cutting a hole in the house. So- I have a small window above my lab like this:

So- My thinking is take this big aluminum spring powered badass vent and ghetto mod it into the window where it opens. Prolly something Primo Levi would've done. I am just having a bit of trouble thinking of a way to seal it to the window... Any ideas?

[Edited on 28-9-2011 by ScienceHideout]

[Edited on 28-9-2011 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

TerryFlamingo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 17:43

Where is the window facing? Ultimately your fume hood may not be a wise idea on the basis that it will then be pushing fumes out into the front yard, or up along the side of your house - which would be altogether horrendous for anyone caught in the way of what you are venting.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 28-9-2011 at 10:40

Careful venting flammable solvent fumes through those. The electronics are not isolated and a flash fire is a real possibility. Many home fume-hood designers spend great effort to house any source of ignition out of any path that the fumes may take. Check out the thread here on homemade fume-hood design. I once had a flash fire while distilling a solvent because I was using an inline-duct fan to vent the process. Very scary. Whoosh!:o

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 28-9-2011 at 12:55

The window leads to my back yard- no one has access to it, the house is made of brick, and no windows are above it. This will work... Oh, and, I should mention- I never use quantities over 100mL with dangerous solvents and I try to keep them colder... For the wiring to ignite a gas would be really... really... rare in my design and purpose.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

jsc
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-11-2011 at 10:27

Glad to hear you are near a climax.

You have to remove the existing louver window, then install a duct into the window. The duct can be sealed with caulking. Remember that there should be some way to close off the window when the vent is not in use. This can either be via a removable panel that goes on the outside of the window or by installing a seal-tight damper in the ducting.

Go To Top