Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hordenine Extraction
Nexuswalker
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2011 at 02:01
Hordenine Extraction

Hey all,

I'm new here and couldn't find any rules for posting on here, anyway I am looking to extract Hordenine from Cacti. This is a phenethylamine compound and I'm wondering what would be the best way to extract it.

My thoughts are an acid base extraction should work, however my chemistry knowledge is limited at the moment as I've just started my degree so any thoughts are appreciated.
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2011 at 04:01

A quick search of Google Scholar for "hordenine isolation" gives this reference first among a host of others:

Cactus alkaloids X: Isolation of hordenine and N-methyltyramine from ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus

[Edited on 29-9-2011 by fledarmus]
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2011 at 17:50

A/B extraction should work.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 01:51

Quote: Originally posted by Nexuswalker  
Hey all,

I'm new here and couldn't find any rules for posting on here

An unwritten rule for this forum section is to always provide all the necessary references when opening a new thread. Members that formulate questions in an unanswerable form, or who are either unable or unwilling to provide references, should only open threads in the Beginnings section so that the repliers answer with more patience and provide a more comprehensive answer.
Quote:
I am looking to extract Hordenine from Cacti. This is a phenethylamine compound and I'm wondering what would be the best way to extract it.

It should be obvious to you that it is not possible to answer that question without knowing what do you wish to extract it from. Without knowing the approximate content and the content of other compounds with similar chemical properties, any reply is futile. For any meaningful answer you need to first provide a minimum necessary information, which is the exact taxonomical data of the species involved so that a literature search for the isolation procedure can be looked for.
Quote: Originally posted by shivas  
A/B extraction should work.

Not just any acid-base based extraction, given that hordenine is both a weak base and a weak acid (it is amphoteric)! In any case, that would not separate it from other compounds with similar properties.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
1-10-2011 at 01:52
Nexuswalker
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2011 at 18:54

Hey sorry I thought this thread was deleted, cheers for the info, now I know!

I am looking to extract this from a selenicereus grandiflorus (moonlight cacti), this species contains Tyramine, N-methyltyramine, and N-N-DimethylTyramine (Hordenine).

How would I go about finding out which acid/base extraction to use to pull the crude alkaloids out if one (or more) are amphoteric? Is this a case of just researching?

Thanks all
Nexuswalker
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2011 at 19:04

If anyone else is interested I can post up the above said paper detailing isolation. I can't understand it all of it yet but maybe someone else can. The TLC method use for the final isolation does not seem complicated though.

[Edited on 26-10-2011 by Nexuswalker]
Nexuswalker
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 04:05

or not.....
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 04:20

Can post it if u want, help others in advance incase thay would like to try the extraction

Go To Top