Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phthalic Acid from Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate
Siloxane
Harmless

Mood: Busy

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 19:55
Phthalic Acid from Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate

For shits and giggles, I started working on a synthesis of luminol by playing along with the NurdRage video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ve69s0qD0 .) My lab happens to have a 20-year-old bulk container of potassium hydrogen phthalate just lying around, so I had a go at extracting the phthalic acid. Twice.

THE WRONG WAY:
10.00 grams of ancient potassium hydrogen phthalate was slowly dissolved in 400 mL of deionized water, 50 mL at a time, at 22 degrees C. 300 mL of 50% HCl was added in 100 mL increments to precipitate phthalic acid. The precipitate (unquantified) was pitifully small.

The precipitate along with the remaining 100 mL of aqueous solution was heated to drive off water, then heated past 300 degrees C to sublimate phthalic anhydride. The final unquantified yield was less than one gram.

A BETTER WAY:
30.00 grams of potassium hydrogen phthalate was added to 300 mL of deionized water in a 500 mL beaker along with a Teflon-coated stir bar. The beaker was moderately heated on a hot plate with vigorous stirring until the potassium hydrogen phthalate was completely dissolved (takes a few minutes.) 100 mL of 50% HCl was added to the solution, causing a dramatic and immediate precipitation of presumed phthalic acid. The beaker containing the solution and precipitate was labeled and placed under a fume hood to settle overnight.

Apparently, less is more when it comes to water. The first attempt, with 10.00 g of potassium hydrogen phthalate, yielded a small amount of characteristic cotton-candy-like phthalic anhydride crystals after sublimation. The second attempt leaves me a lot more material to work with. Tomorrow I'll decant the aqueous portion off, dry the precipitate, and weigh before attempting another sublimation of the anhydride.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 21:06

HCl cant go past 38% concentration...

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 04:28

Potassium hydrogen phthalate serves more value than the phthalic acid you're making from it, as its a primary standard for acidometric titration. Can you not obtain the acid by other methods?
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 05:11

A really easy method is to take old PET bottles, and dissolve those in a hot solution of sodium hydroxide in ethyleneglycol (antifreeze). Allow to cool, mix with water, acidify and presto.

[Edited on 21-10-2011 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 06:19

would u need pure ethylene glycol, or could you use the stuff used for cars?

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 07:05

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
A really easy method is to take old PET bottles, and dissolve those in a hot solution of sodium hydroxide in ethyleneglycol (antifreeze). Allow to cool, mix with water, acidify and presto.

[Edited on 21-10-2011 by phlogiston]

That's the wrong isomer of phthalic acid :( we want ortho, not para

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Siloxane
Harmless

Mood: Busy

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 21:37

Chemistry Alchemist - The HCl was 50% v/v, about 18% w/w.

DJF90 - I thought of that, too. The KHP I'm using is basically waste, since it was received 20 years ago. My lab uses a new container of KHP as a standard, so no harm done.

BETTER WAY PART DEUCE:
After settling overnight, the precipitate was vacuum filtered through a fritted funnel and allowed to dry for 10 minutes under the forced air stream. After transfer to a beaker, wet yield was 30.25 grams. The impure precipitate was placed in a (malfunctioning) radiant oven for 20 minutes, then transferred to a desiccator charged with anhydrous calcium sulfate.

I hope that my next sublimation attempt will work better than the first one; I'll give it a shot on Monday while I fix that damn radiant oven. DIY PID controller = next level shit.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-10-2011 at 01:06

Yeah i figured that when i done i typed 50% HCl into google... sorry for not correcting myself

Go To Top