Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finkelstein swap of DCM to DIM
Domo_Kun
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 13:35
Finkelstein swap of DCM to DIM

If I was to run a Finkelstein reaction to get diiodomethane out of dichloromethane using NaI:

1. Does everything need to be in acetone solution?
2. Do I have to reflux, and if so, at what temperature and for how long?
3. What yeild should I expect?(how can this be calculated? something to do with the solubility of reactant/products?)

Thanks

[EDIT]

Also, would it be a problem if if there was sodium hydroxyde in the NaI?

[Edited on 30-10-2011 by Domo_Kun]
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 16:09

Thank you for the inspiration, I think I'll try something similar with NaBr and methanol.

1. Acetone is used because NaI is soluble in acetone, but NaCl is not. The insolubility of the product NaCl pushes the reaction, and replenishing the NaI would also help.

3. On the first guess I'd think the yield would be the ratio of NaI:NaCl dissolved in acetone if you keep it saturated with NaI and let it go to equilibrium which should favor the product _but_ you also have the intermediate product of CH2ICl.

2NaI(org) + CH2Cl2(org) <-> NaI(org) + NaCl(?) + CH2ICl(org) <-> 2NaCl(s) + CH2I2(org)

Check the Keq for each step to see if the intermediate production is the faster or slower of the two, and also check to see if NaCl has appreciable solubility in CH2ICl.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12205

[Edited on 31-10-2011 by ldanielrosa]
Domo_Kun
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 18:37

Thanks for your answer.

How would I go about figuring out the Keq? You think I can find data on that particular reaction somewhere?
I understand the use of acetone to use the solubility difference and push in one direction.

Will the reaction need heat? And how do I figure out how long I should have the reaction going?

Do I just try it out and see what happens?

Is the boiling point a good enough indicator to indicate that the product is actually DIM? How do I test for or estimate the amount of CH2ICl in the product?

lots of questions I know, interesting stuff though...
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 00:02

I don't have answers to all your questions, but I'll do what I can. This has come up before, and I edited my earlier post to include a link.

I don't regularly access the best of the resources, so I can't really help much with the Keq.

I don't know if it is endothermic or exothermic. If you mix some up and there is a significant change in temperature, then you can make some good guesses: Temperature drop means adding heat may increase the RXN speed. Temperature rise _may_ mean the opposite, but it may also mean it can run out of control.

I would recommend a freezing point test first. If you can freeze the product at or close to 6°C then it is relatively pure DIM. DCM freezes at -96°C, and even if it were higher any impurity would depress the freezing point of the majority solvent.
Domo_Kun
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 02:20

Thank you for that!
I'll just try something out and post the results here layer :)

Go To Top