Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NMR - Restricted Rotation
qw098
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 12:28
NMR - Restricted Rotation

Hi Guys,

I was wondering why for the compound below do I see for the H-NMR that the two ethyl groups are not equivalent.

I know it is because of restricted rotation, but I am not too sure what is meant by restricted/hindered rotation.

I have attached a picture below.

Thanks!

DEET.jpg - 28kB
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 14:07

Rotation cannot occur around the N=C bond.

qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 16:32

Ok, then why are the two ethyls attached to the nitrogen not chemically equivalent?
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 17:18

looks like resonance to me

Give me librium or give me meth!
Patrick Henry....
qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 17:24

Please explain further!

I don't understand why the two ethyls would be chemically different :(
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 19:05

One ethyl is closer to a ketone, one is closer to an aromatic ring. The electronics of the neighboring groups will impact the magnetic field around the ethyls, which is what the NMR is detecting.

The rotation around the N=C bond is slow enough to allow the two ethyl groups to each respond differently to the NMR. If they rotate fast enough then the groups signal becomes the average of the two positions.

This is common for sterically hindered amides, biaryls and other molecules which are crowded around a C-C or similar bond.

Bob
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 03:39

Quote: Originally posted by qw098  
Ok, then why are the two ethyls attached to the nitrogen not chemically equivalent?

I assume you mean magnetically equivalent?

Look up anisotropy. Aromatic systems create ring currents which generate their own electromagnetic fields. This is why the electrons attached to an aromatic ring are shifted so far. Due to the resonance effects, the double bond of your amide system lies in the plane of the benzene ring and due to resonance, rotation about the carbon-nitrogen bond is hindered. This means that one of the two ethyl groups will lie adjacent to and in the plane of the benzene ring, exposing it to the deshielding effect of the ring current.

qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 08:01

Yes, sorry I meant magnetically equivalent.

Great explanation Dr.Bob, I enjoyed the "One ethyl is closer to a ketone, one is closer to an aromatic ring." Things can be so simple sometimes! Without any rotation being allowed, there is a distinction between the two protons.

"The rotation around the N=C bond is slow enough to allow the two ethyl groups to each respond differently to the NMR." I guess I'd just have to see the frequency of my NMR and see if my NMR machine is beast enough to be faster than the N=C rotation.

Thank you Fledarmus for adding more information.

This was great! Thanks! Crystal clear!
qw098
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 17:57

Would I be able to tell by looking at an NMR if the protons on the top ethyl would be more downfield or upfield than the protons on the bottom?

Thanks!

DEETImage.png - 2kB
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:21

By looking? Only if you have a good grasp of the numerical values of anisotropic effects. You can imagine a shielding zone on both the aromatic ring and the carbonyl double bond oriented into and out of the plane of the molecule - the methylene of the top ethyl is in the deshielded region of the carbonyl, and the one on the bottom ethyl is in the deshielded region of the aromatic ring. Due to the presence of a ring current in the aromatic ring system, my sense is that the effect on the bottom ethyl would be stronger, and those protons would be further downfield, but I am not in the business of calculating NMR spectra and this is only a guess. In practice, I would run a NOESY and see which of the methylene signals resonated with the aromatic proton signal.

Go To Top