Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plz help me about laboratory preparation of Methylamine
TUHIN
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 21:51
Plz help me about laboratory preparation of Methylamine

My text give me a process. There they said produced methylamine should have to absorb at HCl. Then i have to give it heat and then CH3NH2.HCl will be produced. Then I have to heat it again with KOH solution then produced methylamine should have to absorb at water. I ask, why I have to absorb methylamine at HCl first? Can't I absorb it at water first? Then what's the problem? Plz answer and help me...
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 23:57

Please tell us more about your process of making methylamine. Before we can help you we should know more about the process. Maybe it is for removing impurities. But now I only can guess.

Also be aware that we are not here to spoonfeed people with information on how to make drug-related chemicals. I now give you the benefit of doubt and hope that this will become an interesting thread about an interesting chemical.

[Edited on 3-11-11 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Takron
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 08:06

My guess is since it is normally a gas in solution, salting it makes purification and use much easier. I know I would rather use the salt than the solution form, but then again, I have not used it yet. Plus I think you can concentrate it better, as the salt than the solution, because you don't lose any to gassing out and whatnot. If you salt it and then add KOH, then you would release the HCl and you would have a gas again, so that is rather confusing. Unless you are going to be bubbling the gas through something. What are you going to be making?

Go To Top