Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying charcoal
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2011 at 04:55
Drying charcoal

I'm trying to back track the chemistry of several failed bloomery attempts and need a way to accurately measure the dry mass of the charcoal to figure out how much of it's mass was moisture.

The charcoal I have been using is from Royal oak. There is data on the water absorption of coconut charcoal as well as bamboo charcoal but I am unable to find data on oak charcoal. Specifically I do not know how hard charcoal hangs on to absorbed water vapour.

Does anyone know if a regular desiccator would work?

Not having the capacity to calcine the charcoal in an oxygen free environment, I wondered if soaking it in anhydrous ethanol followed by vacuum distillation would be plausible?
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 24-11-2011 at 08:20

You could use a desiccator, or a vacuum desiccator if you have one. If not leaving it sit out in a well ventilated area should work
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-11-2011 at 11:41

It's amazing how much water is in most commercial charcoal, even purchased from a chemical supply house some can be >10% water. Vacuum and heat do the trick but it might take awhile in the dessicator as the water can be somewhat bound.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2011 at 16:47

Thank you Bromic, I'll try that.

m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2011 at 19:57

Neil, if you have access to a welder or a beefy power supply, I've successfully dried smallish quantities of charcoal using 2 cinder blocks configured as a makeshift arc furnace. Plenty of clicks and pops as the trapped gases and moisture escape rather dramatically.

You could also fill a metal can/drum about 1/4 way with red hot embers and throw the fresh charcoal on top. A loose-fitting lid is necessary and some type of insulation around the bottom is recommended. I personally use sand for insulation. Moisture and VOCs escape without burning the carbon if you get it right.

Tank

Go To Top