Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Solid Mercury?
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 20:29

..... You have a lot to learn young man, it makes me feel indifferent to know what the stone is. If you don't believe me then tell me... What is the stone? and don't give me some BS cryptic crap because I have grown tired of that decades ago. I want a real answer from a chemist... What is the Stone made of?

I know the conclusion that my over two decades of study landed me, if you don't believe me then A: that is your burden to bare, and B: do more study and prove me wrong.

I am not wrong BTW so best of luck. You are so wrapped up in the cryptic nature of the text that you are missing the point entirely, at lest that's the impression I am getting from you at this point.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 03:57

From reading alchemical text you should know that no alchemist ever revealed this knowledge openly or without talking in a cryptic way and this is how it always was and will be.

Your logic however should tell you that cinnabar, mercury sulphide can not be the secret of the stone since it is the substance from which mercury is extracted in the first place, hardly a secret!

Symbolically Sulphur represents something which is hot and dry, that is contains the element Air and Fire.

Symbolically Mercury represents something that is cold and wet, that is contains Water and Earth.

By joining Sulphur to mercury it represents the joining of the four elements Earth ,Air, Fire and Water. When the four elements are joined a fifth and new element (Quintessence) or philosophers stone is formed.

It is to be understood metaphysically not chemically, that is not to say however that there is no practical application.

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 06:10

"By joining Sulphur to mercury it represents the joining of the four elements Earth ,Air, Fire and Water. When the four elements are joined a fifth and new element (Quintessence) or philosophers stone is formed."

And yet you state right above that this is exactly what Sulfur and Mercury are. Remember back in the day the extraction of liquid Mercury from a stone was not normal, it was magical matter of fact.

You must remember that if all these alchemist where correct and all there writings where even half true they would still be here with us to tell us what the stone is because they are all claiming they found immortality.... Where are they now?

Throw out your understanding of the medieval Alchemy and start to study what was taking place in China since that's where the legend of the Philosophers stone came from anyway and there you will find the reasons I feel Mercury sulfide is the stone everyone looked for but where to wrapped up in cryptic metaphysical BS to see what was right under there nose. They heard legend and went down the wrong path, they made up properties at that making it even harder to identify what the Chinese told them.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 06:22

Quote:

You must remember that if all these alchemist where correct and all there writings where even half true they would still be here with us to tell us what the stone is because they are all claiming they found immortality.... Where are they now?

Sedit, that's just stupid, everyone knows they destroyed the stone to prevent lord voldemort from getting it.

;)
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 07:41

I have done it already, studied Chinese waidan and know why you think HgS is the philosophers stone as many do.

Ok let me tell you very openly what the philosophers stone is. In ancient times people believed that beneath the air is a primal substance without which life could not exist. In china they called it chi, in Japan they called it Ki, in India they called it prana.

Once this principle was discovered methods were devised to capture this energy. One method was breathing exercises from which developed Qi gong, Yoga and Kabbalistic exercises . The idea being that the mind in meditation coupled with breathing exercises could increase the bodies level of this energy resulting in increased health and lifespan.

The alchemist however went down a different road, they theorised that there should be some substance that could be used to capture this energy much in the same way what steel can capture and retain a magnetic field. After long searching they found it, the philosophers stone!

"There are many who seek to catch Heaven's Salt or Sal celeste(chi,ki,prana) through magnets, but we rather remain with the Minera,(the prima materia) it is already caught in there and it has been placed there by God."

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by D4RR3N]
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 08:26

D4RR3N, you are aware that they've found shit? Just asking, because you seem very confused. Or trolling, I can't really tell anymore.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 08:42

The world view of the alchemists is hard to understand for us today as many of them believed in a quasimystical explanation of their experiments.
We live in a completely different world to theirs.
However their strange ideas did not stop them from making valuable discoveries that later helped found the modern world.
For instance, Hennig Brand discovered phosphorus while looking for the Philosopher's Stone by boiling down vast amounts of urine. Mad idea but he found something new and interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus#History_and_discover...
It should also be noted that Robert Boyle derived Boyle's Law but also spent some time trying to make silver and gold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Boyle#Scientific_investi...
A lot of 17th century scientists were rational but at the same time held some very strange views.

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by ScienceSquirrel]
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 04:37

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
D4RR3N, you are aware that they've found shit? Just asking, because you seem very confused. Or trolling, I can't really tell anymore.

Oh sorry, yeah I must be just confused:D
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top