Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternative routes, recycling of PET
Ionic Chemist
Harmless

Mood: Polymerizing

cool.gif posted on 16-12-2011 at 16:35
Alternative routes, recycling of PET

Recently i've been trying a new approach to the recycling of plastics, to be more specific poly(ethylene terephthalate), by degrading it into its original constituents. So far that aspect has been successful and i have synthesized terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol. The problem now is that i can't go about polycondensing these chemicals, in a suitable environment, to recreate the initial PET. Additionally can someone give some guidance as to the preparation of alkyl terephthalate esters like methyl and ethyl terephthalate.

Can someone offer some assistance please, i have a deadline by which to complete my research experiment.

Plastic Recycling.JPG - 23kB
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 17-12-2011 at 16:08

ive used the plastic and melting it with a plastic welder harbour fright the plastic welder uses a stream of heated air it can melt PVC PVP Polycarbonate at around 850F the hot air can burn paper
or at least blacken it melts a PET bottle easily adjusting the hot air flow will keep it from burning ive casted some things in plastic.

there are other things ive heared with plastic ive heared of backyard chemistry turning it into oil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabrorRS8

another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbKSSr9ypts&feature=relat...
Ionic Chemist
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 17-12-2011 at 18:36
Plastic Recycling

The two videos are quite inventive and will help in my secondary fuel reconstitution research. However, i need to stick to the polycondensation of the mentioned compounds as that is the current primary objective.
Thanks for the post, i got some new ideas to experiment on for the fuel research project though.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 19-12-2011 at 07:40

I suspect the best approach to breaking up PET for recycling is via high pressure methanolysis.

http://www.jproeng.com/qikan/manage/wenzhang/2011-017.pdf
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2011 at 10:10

What sorts of problems are you having? Both the preparation of methyl and ethyl terephthalate and the preparation of PET are simple esterification reactions. Methyl and ethyl esters are typically prepared by dissolving the carboxylic acid in methanol or ethanol and adding a catalytic amount of a strong mineral acid (usually H2SO4). Methanol usually works very well, for ethanol you may also have to add something to suck up the water that is given off.

Polymerization is a somewhat different story, and there is an enormous patent and non-patent body of literature devoted to the best ways to prepare polyesters.
Ionic Chemist
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 19-12-2011 at 11:16
Information requisition

The problem is that the two constituents don't seem to be polymerizing during the experiment. I need a way to create the ideal environment to induce polymerization and polycondensation of the 'monomers'.
Can you please specify where the literature on polyester formation can be located? The request for help on the formation of the terephthalate esters was so that i could get a guidline which to follow in the experiment, other than what i already know. Things such as specific experiment temperature and synthesis precautions would be helpful, thanks for the reply.
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-12-2011 at 12:41

Well, the original patent gives several different preparative examples - US Pat 2465319. A search in Google patents gives about 1500 hits on polyterephthalate.

Ionic Chemist
Harmless

biggrin.gif posted on 19-12-2011 at 15:02

Thank you
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 20-12-2011 at 00:21

thats why they use ethylene oxide and terephthalic acid :D

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-12-2011 at 00:48

Polyethylene Terephthalate combined with Sodium hydroxide and heated until all the plastic dissolves, will produce Ethylene glycol and Sodium Terephthalate which then can be added to HCl to produce Terephthalic Acid and Sodium Chloride... small scale doesn't really work will for this, larger scale would be better (100grams of PET would be good, i only done 10 grams so my yield of terephthalic acid was low)

Ionic Chemist
Harmless

wink.gif posted on 20-12-2011 at 07:27
Thanks to everyone for the help

@Chemistry Alchemist
Yeah that is the usual method that I use to synthesize terephthalic acid its pretty simple to carry out and I have access to a lot of PET and sodium hydroxide.

@Fledarmus Thank you for the information its really good. Now I am going to synthesize polymers; consisting of amide substituted carbonyl groups (O=C-NH2)connected to nitrated aromatic rings (C6H5-NO2), with various polyols.

Thanks for the replies.

Go To Top