Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NH4NO3+NaOH solution=NaNO3?
nerdalert226
Harmless

Mood: Bose-Einstien Condensate

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 16:37
NH4NO3+NaOH solution=NaNO3?

When making NaNO3 by mixing solid NaOH and solid NH4NO3 and adding water (with all safety apparatus of course fume hood,goggles,apron,gloves,etc.)what is the minimal molar solution of NaOH that can be used to still react thoroughly with the NH4NO3 to result in NaNO3?

cite: Make Sodium Nitrate, A Potassium Nitrate Substitute. Dir. Butyl N. Lithum. Perf. Dr.N.Butyl Lithium. 2009. Youtube. Youtube. Web. 24 Dec. 2011. <http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQJhf_24-QM>.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 16:43

I do not think there really is any minimal concentration if the solution is heated or boiled.
nerdalert226
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 16:48

cool ,thanks!:D
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 17:46

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
I do not think there really is any minimal concentration if the solution is heated or boiled.
I agree. I have done this one with dilute and concentrated solutions, and it seems to work either way. Dilute solutions just require more boiling down to get crystals.

I think adding water to the dry chemicals is just asking for troubles.

Although I have gone this route too, have you looked for KNO3 stump removers? I just bought a boatload of Green Light stump remover for $6 per pound. After a quick recrystallization it is quite pure KNO3.
nerdalert226
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 17:50

Yeah I have stump remover that I bought but I was just wondering what would happen in theory
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 26-12-2011 at 06:54

As long as your stoichiometry is correct, the reaction should carry to completion, as with most inorganic ion exchange reactions. Keep in mind however, that ammonia is soluble in water, meaning that if there is too much water, the ammonia will not gas off, and you'll have to heat the solution to get rid of the ammonia. Ammonia reacts with water to form NH4OH, if there is too much water, the ammonia will stay in solution as NH4+ and OH-, and your reaction will go nowhere.

If you hate the smell of ammonia as much as I do, this is not a reaction you will look forward to doing:)

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 05:52

When a dry, stoichiometric mixture of finely ground table salt and ammonium nitrate is heated slowly, NH<sub>4</sub>Cl will slowly sublime and may be collected on a cooled receiver!
Temperature should be controlled to prevent fusion and when sublimation ceases the residue will consist of NaNO<sub>3</sub> plus whatever small amounts of anti-caking agent were used.
The NH<sub>4</sub>Cl collected though, will be of fairly high purity!
Another route would be to boil a solution of NH<sub>4</sub>NO<sub>3</sub>/NaCO<sub>3</sub>!
(NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> will be driven off and can be condensed as a concentrated solution.
You could use the sal volatile to revive your partner if, during energetic copulation, she should slip into unconsciousness, as they're sometimes wont to do!

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by hissingnoise]
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 06:56

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

Another route would be to boil a solution of NH<sub>4</sub>NO<sub>3</sub>/Na[<sub>2</sub>]CO<sub>3</sub>!
(NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> will be driven off and can be condensed as a concentrated solution.

What are you talking about?! Ammonium carbonate and bicarbonate (in case nerdalert226 would want to use NaHCO3 instead of Na2CO3) both decompose in hot water, never mind condensing and using them for who knows what.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 11:32

Quote:
Another route would be to boil a solution of NH<sub>4</sub>NO<sub>3</sub>/Na[<sub>2</sub>]CO<sub>3</sub>!
What are you talking about?! Ammonium carbonate and bicarbonate (in case nerdalert226 would want to use NaHCO3 instead of Na2CO3) both decompose in hot water, never mind condensing and using them for who knows what.

Ooooh, you are, er, um, abominable, Mr Yeti, but thanks for correcting my wee error. :P
Washing soda is cheaper and more available than the hydroxide, in case you didn't know?
And 'sal volatile' does indeed decompose by heat; ((NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>∙H<sub>2</sub>O ---> 2NH<sub>3</sub> + CO<sub>2</sub> + 2H<sub>2</sub>O).
You do understand the equation?
Distillation from solution should be carried out at ~80°C for best results . . .
BTW, White Yeti, have you lived a, how should I say, an 'unusually :( cloistered life', by any chance? :D

White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 17:53

Ooooh, you are, er, um, abominable, Mr Yeti, but thanks for correcting my wee error. :P
Washing soda is cheaper and more available than the hydroxide, in case you didn't know?

Yes, I know washing soda is cheaper than hydroxide, not to mention more available. I didn't have sodium hydroxide until yesterday, when I made it from chalk and baking soda, I never thought I'd see the day, but it worked :)

BTW, White Yeti, have you lived a, how should I say, an 'unusually :( cloistered life', by any chance? :D

*The abominable snowman looks down at keyboard in shame*
*sighs*
Yes.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 02:13

It's all ahead of you - do you know how lucky you are? :)

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 03:40

Another quick aside; since sal volatile (smelling salts) produces only small quantities of free ammonia, and the gas being toxic in quantity, sniffing smelling salts can improve performance in certain 'strenuous sports'!

White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 07:23

Another quick aside; since sal volatile (smelling salts) produces only small quantities of free ammonia, and the gas being toxic in quantity, sniffing smelling salts can improve performance in certain 'strenuous sports'!

Believe it or not, I've been trying to make NH<sub>4</sub>HCO<sub>3</sub> for a while, and I haven't succeeded yet. It must have something to do with the salt's volatility. I neutralised household ammonia with unflavoured seltzer until the solution was mildly acidic. IIRC, I tested the solution for bicarbonate ions with a concentrated solution of CaCl<sub>2</sub> and the test was positive (turned cloudy).

I didn't try to mix carbonated water with CaCl<sub>2</sub> as a control (silly me) and I'm all out of seltzer:(

Anyway, I left the solution to evaporate over a heating vent and a few days later, I was left with a dull white powder that doesn't smell like anything, not even of ammonia when heated. The powder was probably the impurities in both the water and ammonia :\ Better luck next time.

If you were wondering what I was going to use it for, I was hoping to use it as fuel for hydrogen fuel cells. Since the salt releases ammonia when heated (apparently it also releases ammonia spontaneously), the salt could be used to store ammonia at room temperature, and the ammonia could be split to yield hydrogen.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 08:18

I just came across this.
If you have a strong stomach you could try it! :o
And the 'working material' is something there'll never be a shortage of. :D

White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 09:59

I just came across this.
If you have a strong stomach you could try it! :o
And the 'working material' is something there'll never be a shortage of. :D

Some people think I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy enough to make compounds by using urine as a starting material:) I don't think I have the dedication to do such a thing, or the stomach for that matter.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 10:17

Well, in that case, you'll just have to get it the really hard way?

dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-12-2011 at 22:07

Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
......If you have a strong stomach you could try it! ......Some people think I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy enough............ I don't think I have the dedication to do such a thing, or the stomach for that matter.

It's a great big bladder you need, no need for a stomach (strong or otherwish) at all.
White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 07:21

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  
Quote: Originally posted by White Yeti  
......If you have a strong stomach you could try it! ......Some people think I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy enough............ I don't think I have the dedication to do such a thing, or the stomach for that matter.

It's a great big bladder you need, no need for a stomach (strong or otherwish) at all.

You need a strong stomach not to throw up when dealing with the fumes emanating from stale urine:)

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 07:54

Any thoughts on dealing with fresh urine?

White Yeti
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 09:50

Hiss, I think you better stop.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 10:53

I have done this a few times. If you have a means to transfer the gas with a diffuser of sorts into water, this is a 'double whammy' for an amateur chemist. You can create concentrated ammonia solutions, as well as NaNO3 which is prime for nitric acid. Be advised though adding water to this mixture will instantaneously begin gassing of NH3.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 11:41

Quote:
Hiss, I think you better stop.

I think you're right, White Yeti - I do seem to bang on and on . . .
Incidentally, I'm not the first to have posted that link here!

Go To Top