Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: eBay Chemicals--Ignored Seller IDs
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 06:14
eBay Chemicals--Ignored Seller IDs

I thought this might be a little time saver for some of you who use eBay to acquire certain chemicals. It's a list I've compiled over the years of seller IDs to filter out when searching for chemicals on eBay. It's always subject to revision, so I'll update it here once in a while.

Quote:
[edited to remove names]

[Edited on 1/6/12 by bfesser]

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 06:18

Could you explain what you mean by "filtering out"? I recognize many of those usernames to belong to reliable suppliers of chemicals.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 06:22

I've had a run-in with gumby96 myself - bought some MnO2 from him that was heavily cut with sand, like at least 1/3 of the weight. It's the same stuff NurdRage made a video about him getting "ripped off."

On the other hand, I also bought Al powder from him and have had no problems with it, so maybe it was just an issue with his supplier for that particular chemical.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 06:29

eBay allows users to specify sellers when using the search function. You can also specify sellers to ignore in the search and their auctions won't show up in the results.

[edited to remove seller IDs]
<a href="http://www.ebay.com/dsc/Lab-Chemicals-/104233/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&LH_IncludeSIF=1&rt=nc&_sc=1&_sop=10&_trksid=p3286.c0.m15 39">-example unfiltered</a>

I don't intend this to start a discussion--merely to share something I've worked on which may save others time. If they list with a picture of a pile of powder, they get added to the list, no questions asked.

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 07:12

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  

I don't intend this to start a discussion--merely to share something I've worked on which may save others time. If they list with a picture of a pile of powder, they get added to the list, no questions asked.

What?! When you publish an eBay blacklist without giving any reason why the names are on the list, you surely must expect some discussion? Don't you see a problem with this? I mean, it's okay for someone to post their bad experiences with a certain eBayer (that would be a nice idea for a thread), but just throwing up a blacklist with dozens of user names, without any reasoning whatsoever, is not acceptable behavior!

Myself I have bought phenolphthalein from zhuykoff and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Other people I know have good experiences with biostain-on-ebay (aka "ReadyReagents" if I'm not mistaken), OnlineScienceMall and reagent_shop among others. Why do you recommend against dealing with these suppliers? If you're going to destroy someone's business, you better have a damn good reason to! Edit: Having a pile of powder as the listing's picture is not a good reason.

[Edited on 5-1-2012 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 07:35

Zhuykoff is a damn good seller, I've bought tons of stuff from him, everything came in time and was exactly what I have ordered.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 11:44

I'll have to agree. I have purchased lots of chemicals from Biostain Ready Reagents. All of them were very carefully packaged with appropriate containers and the labels clear with all necessary information and more.

Please revise your list - just because *you* have had a bad experience with them, it does not mean they are a bad seller.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 17:18

<strong>Could a Moderator or Polverone please delete (detritus) this thread?</strong>

I had no intention of starting a shitstorm, nor of blacklisting any merchants. If you don't like it, don't use it. I said nothing bad about these sellers, merely that I don't include them in my searches when purchasing reagents from eBay.

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 18:27

why detritus? who cares who differs from your opinion?you will still have your opinion and it will be respected. i have no problem with gumby 96 but had a problem with gulf coast liquidators and gulf coast has many green plus feed backs. but has anyone gone through alibaba .com? i mean potassium cyanide is sold by the gram according to many sellers from different countries yet most of their replies come from cameroon. some will say they only deal with western union because the product is illegal and cannot go through paypal.illegal? as if a western union transaction makes it all o.k. some company reps have names like mr.winfrey from a company named oprah chemicals. one seller even has that super rich mexican dude's name. a chemist friend of mine said that i might eventually attract the feds with this stuff and everyday my email inbox is full of alibaba sellers now.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 18:34

I'd be interested in seeing that list. Is it possible you could U2U it to me?
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 19:51

i took a screen shot of the list but that is all i know how to do. but alibaba.com is loaded with the sellers. just type in potassium cyanide and all the vendors just fall out. some even sell by the ton. i've gotten e-mails from columbia even.but most of them just come from cameroon even though they say they are german, chinese etc.. i mean their site has the different country flag and a stereotypical corresponding name. like pepe if from mexico and such but the name carlos slim and watson are used alot like watson and -----or carlos slim and ----.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 18:01

neil i forgot i had photo bucket in my bookmarks.i sent you the pics. what do you think? set up? good ole fashion scammers? http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z444/scarface130/

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by cyanureeves]

Go To Top