Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Super dense projectiles
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 15:20

You do know after you release the pressure it will just go back to its original size, right? And I'm pretty sure it will take tons of pressure to even make a 1/100s difference. Try tempering(?)

BOLD

chrisgedwards
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 15:55

i just thought that compressing explosives would also lead to more energy per unit volume which maybe necessary to project such super dense projectiles from a gun. I dont have access to these papers right now but someone may. interesting stuff.

I mentioned some sort of container for the compresseed metal core. im wondering how long it would take for it to expand. as mentioned earlier , there are some metal joints that are compressed permanently for high altitude and deep sea stuff. the question is how compressed can something be and have a long shelf life.

http://jcp.aip.org/resource/1/jcpsa6/v124/i2/p024712_s1?isAu...
http://www.amazon.com/Detonation-Condensed-Explosives-High-p...

not sure these are what i think they are. do you think its possible to compress a volume of rdx into 1/10 the size without it detonating? this would allow for all sorts of superpowerful mini devices including in projectiles...
chrisgedwards
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 16:20

the first paper i posted above has some great info in it, now that i have acquired it.

the change in volume at around 4 GPA was roughly 25% for rdx (if i remember correctly). some explosives investigated actually got down to almost 1/2 the volume.

intermolecular spacing is what im trying to shorten here and under these pressures (which arnt too high) it appears that both explosives and metals can have their densities increased. now the question becomes how far can the be compressed, for how long and at what cost?

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 16:26

Quote: Originally posted by chrisgedwards  
Alright, im not being taken seriously.
And for very good reason. You persist with a basic theme, that there are materials whose density can be manipulated by an order of magnitude. This theme does not occur in nature. People keep telling you this, and you persist. How is this not grounds for ridicule?

Density limits are governed by the Pauli exclusion principle, incidentally.
chrisgedwards
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 18:09

That doesn't mean basic and persistent themes don't have any value. If my asking questions with regards to topics (quarter shrinkers, railguns, degenerate matter, the energy of projectiles, young's modulus) is not in line with what you guys want here at sciencemadness, so be it. But shooting down people wanting to honestly discuss science is very exclusionary. People who are honestly interested in discussion ought to be treated with some respect. Yes yes, i won't be missed, but with the general attitude of this board (and some members specifically,) I won't miss posting to sciencemadness. Ill lurk like so many other nervous people must.

Im not sure why my ideas have been shot down, especially after posting articles that support my thoughts -- illiciting some positive responses. However, I sure feel shot down personally. I hope that this doesn't happen to all non-experts that post here. The foundations of science and amateur science boards such as this, have always been shaped by those who think differently of set principles.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 18:52

I'm talking about metals, not explosives. Of course some explosives can be compressed a great deal. And I think its safe to assume of done carefully enough it can be pressed to its absolute density.

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by AirCowPeaCock]

BOLD

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 22:54

Sorry if it appears that we are having fun at your expense, well we are but it's absolutely nothing personal. Its just that your concept makes absolutely no practical sense.
Yes, a denser projectile is something of value, and you explain quite accurately why this is so.
Yes some materials can be much denser if at the bottom ocean, considerably so.
But unless you are wanting to use those projeciles there, musings regarding density increases that require outrageous conditions are quite simply boring, why, because they are impractical.
so perhaps you misread the nature of the dissent, and maybe we could have been nicer about it. I hope you are not discouraged.
I'm not sorry about my wicked jokes because they were pretty fucking good but maybe they were not appropiately used herein.
Happy new year!

Edit 46532pelling erors

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by Panache]

Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 02:57

Quote:
If my asking questions with regards to topics (quarter shrinkers, railguns, degenerate matter, the energy of projectiles, young's modulus) is not in line with what you guys want here at sciencemadness, so be it. But shooting down people wanting to honestly discuss science is very exclusionary. People who are honestly interested in discussion ought to be treated with some respect. Yes yes, i won't be missed, but with the general attitude of this board (and some members specifically,) I won't miss posting to sciencemadness. Ill lurk like so many other nervous people must.

─Chris, I must apologise to you for my overly dismissive attitude!
Simple tolerance of the views and ideas of others is something I appear still not to have learned!
I'm just a fucking asshole and shouldn't be taken too seriously on any point!
But don't leave; I really am working on it . . . ?

P
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 05:59

Of course it would be great to have a denser, harder bullet. Depleted uranium is used precisely for that reason. Delivering more energy to a smaller cross-sectional area increases penetration, which is what armor-piercing is all about.

But throwing things like "2-3x the density", "1.5x the weight", and "superdense" without any indication that such materials exist isn't helping your argument a bit. Show us a phase diagram - under what conditions of pressure and temperature can you form a material of the appropriate density, and is it stable once those conditions are removed?

I remember years ago reading a science fiction story which used compressed iridium-cobalt projectiles, I believe. The shell had a bullet which consisted of an explosive wrapped around the iridium-cobalt form, and when fired, the explosive would compress the form into a super-dense projectile. I don't remember the name of the book, and I've never seen any science that suggests this is possible.

As for your compressed steel, I believe this is a hardening process - the density increase is very slight, but the crystallization is controlled to provide a very hard, tough form. Very much like the traditional blacksmith's method of hammer-hardening.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 06:23

Quote:
Depleted uranium is used precisely for that reason. Delivering more energy to a smaller cross-sectional area increases penetration, which is what armor-piercing is all about.

The crystal structure within a rod of DU is such that when used as a projectile, it is essentially 'self-sharpening'!
That is to say that, on making contact with armour-plate at high velocity, DU shears off in layers which are partially longitudinal to the axis and it is this which increases the power of penetration relative to projectiles made of other materials . . .

P
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 06:28

Not to mention cost; tugston is expensive, dU is waste disposal.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 07:08

Material costs are not of great concern to the military, but tungsten lags well behind DU in its penetrating ability . . .

P
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 07:26

not to mention DUs ability to be very hot on impact. Yes maybe if you had a Iridium-iron alloy you could have a much denser projectile, but talk about this when we start mining asteroids and comets--but then again, when that happens, it will be done the first day the military gets their hands on cheap iridium, if it ever happens.

BOLD

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 07:44

Really? I thought Tungsten was the better of the two but that it was more expensive and lacked the pyrophoric qualities of DU?
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 07:56

Wiki
Ir Density (near r.t.) 22.56 g·cm−3
W Density (near r.t.) 19.25 g·cm−3

And I don't know how common tungsten is in space, but I know we find lots of meteorites containing ppms of Ir--which is really alot if you think about it.

wiki
Ir Annual production of iridium circa 2000 was around 3 tonnes or about 100,000 troy ounces (ozt). 2010 635$/ozt.
W About 61,300 tonnes of tungsten concentrates were produced in the year 2009.

BOLD

AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 07:59

But then when you compare that to osmium
Density (near r.t.) 22.59 g·cm−3
Its price at 2010 is about $400 per Troy ounce (or about $13 per gram). Still cheaper than pot though--gram for gram

but fighting with osmium bullets would be like fighting with tiny nukes, as far as environmental damage goes.

BOLD

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 08:08

...I was actually aiming that question at Pulveresence. But I have to hand it to you, that is the first time I've ever seen metal prices related in terms of pot buying power...
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 08:10

its a first for me too

BOLD

AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 08:11

although its less expensive than Ir

Neither the producers nor the United States Geological Survey published any production amounts for osmium. Estimations of the United States consumption date published from 1971,[44] which gives a consumption in the United States of 2000 troy ounces (62 kg), would suggest that the production is still less than 1 ton per year.

BOLD

AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 08:19

DU take advantage of its very high density of 19.1 g/cm3, just short of W. but cheaper and again, with the potential to go critical on impact--or that's what Ive heard. Ive heard of rounds with explosives on the end of the bullet that force the DU through the armor, but I don't know if this is true.

wiki
Depleted uranium is favored for the penetrator because it is self-sharpening and pyrophoric.[26] On impact with a hard target, such as an armored vehicle, the nose of the rod fractures in such a way that it remains sharp. The impact and subsequent release of heat energy causes it to disintegrate to dust and burn when it reaches air because of its pyrophoric properties.[26] When a DU penetrator reaches the interior of an armored vehicle, it catches fire, often igniting ammunition and fuel, killing the crew, and possibly causing the vehicle to explode.

BOLD

Pulverulescent
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 10:02

In its use as AP rounds by the tank-guns of MBTs armour piercing by DU is to do with kinetic energy alone!
And uranium is pyrophoric only when finely divided . . .

P
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 10:24

DU use for armaments is a bit like Flourine use for drinking water.
It's a waste product from the nuclear industry that would be difficult to get rid of. It's creates 'no problems' when used to do what it does.
If someone were to obtain DU and fire the stuff around New York, the place would be evacuated untill it was cleaned up.

Dann2
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 10:39

Again wiki The impact and subsequent release of heat energy causes it to disintegrate to dust and burn when it reaches air because of its pyrophoric properties.[26]. The 26 is a dead link, but apparently its from the US dept. Of energy

BOLD

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 11:23

"DU take advantage of its very high density of 19.1 g/cm3, just short of W. but cheaper and again, with the potential to go critical on impact"

Not really. That's what the "depleted" bit means.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 11:27

Depleted means its been decayed from "regular" uranium, its still radioactive, but your right, it probably doesn't go critical on impact, but it does heat up because it gets less sub-critical--or at-least that's what wiki seems to imply, and it has to make at-least some difference. <-- run-on sentence ;)

BOLD

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top