Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Purification of Toluene
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 14:41

My understanding is that the MSDS is required to list composition, NOT purity. For example, if they sell technical grade acetone which contains 5% water, but they don't add any water to the composition and the mixture simply contains it, then they can write 100% acetone. Similarly, the thiophenes are an impurity which arises from the production of the toluene and they may exceed 1%, but since they are impurities and not ingredients of the mixture they don't have to be listed on the MSDS. If they added 1% thiophenes to the mixture to improve some property of it though(this is just an example, there's no reason to do this), then they would need to list 1% methylthiophene(or a concentration range) on the MSDS.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 21:55

I think it depends on whether the impurity exists in a significant quantity to cause a safety issue. If a detergent has 0.05% mercury impurity, it had better say so on the MSDS. On the other hand, if 2% sugar is added to it as an adhesive, it doesn't have to appear on the MSDS.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 14:12

Here is a link to get the scoop on MSDS/SDS requirements:

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3514.html

"Section 3: Composition/Information on Ingredients" starts out:
"This section identifies the ingredient(s) contained in the product indicated on the SDS, including impurities and stabilizing additives. This section includes information on substances, mixtures, and all chemicals where a trade secret is claimed. The required information consists of...:

This is only a 6-page printout.
Sniffity
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 20:35

This might seem like a fairly stupid question D: But could you explain what's this "corrected to sea level" means? And why is this correction necessary?

My way of understanding it was that the higher you take a barometre, the lower the pressure will be, and you didn't need to correct it? :o
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 22:29

Air traffic controllers obtain the local tower pressure using a barometer, which, as you say gives the true atmospheric pressure regardless of the tower altitude. But this value is not usable by airplane pilots approaching the tower. They need a "corrected to sea level" value so they can dial it in on their altimeters. Their altimeter will then read the correct altitude when they are at that given tower.

This is my understanding and is subject to correction by someone who actually knows - please.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
bobm4360
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 23:06

An altimeter is just a barometer that reads funny. When you get tower pressure, and set that pressure in the altimeter, it will read field elevation if you are on the ground at that airport, or field elevation plus your height above ground if you are in the air. Knowing your altitude above local terrain is a Very Good Thing. Your altitude above sea level is worthless unless you are over the ocean.....
Above 18kft (mandatory instrument flight) everyone sets their altimeter to 29.92 in.Hg so they are on the same page and can maintain altitude separation. If pilot A reads 19000 ft in his aircraft and pilot B reads 20000 ft in his, they will not have a close encounter of the worst kind. If their altimeters were set at different fields, B could be at the same level as A or even below him.
The tower barometer is corrected for field elevation at standard temperature and pressure

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by bobm4360]

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by bobm4360]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 01:06

Corrected to sea level means at a pressure of one atmosphere.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 09:50

I think I was incorrect in my explanation above about the "corrected to sea level" barometric pressure. This website gives the proper procedures:

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Altimeter_Setting_Procedu...

Near the airfield the pilot wants to adjust his altimeter so that it reads his height (altitude) above the airfield (QFE).

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-11-2015 at 15:28

To follow up, the KleanStrip toluene that I got at ACE seems to be very pure, as yesterday I synthesized tosylic acid with it and there was no polymerization whatsoever. The solution became slightly yellow during the reaction, but the product precipitated on cooling as nearly pure white crystals.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2020 at 13:58

Barometric pressure gets me every time when I begin to suspect everything what I do when a distillation just keeps going over the limit even when every single factor seems to be on point. Then, I remember to check the local weather station, do a little math and pieces fall together. Toluene really keeps getting over at 113C when the barometer says 1020mbar.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top