Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Printing on nitrocellulose
killswitch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 13:23

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
I am pretty sure you were talking about a detonating book. Not one that burns while reading IIRC. Just get a few prices of 100% cotton paper and nitrate them with a salt acid mix. Wwash and neutralize. Once dry, cut into pages and make a little booklet. You could even use NC lacquer as the glue for the bindings. Attach an e-match to the book and wha-la. Your just making flash paper. Don't overcomplicate it.

Well, the complicated part is that I'm trying to set it up so that it deflagrates spontaneously, ideally after being exposed to light and air for a brief period. Perhaps soaking the middle of one sheet with potassium permanganate solution or adding a tiny drop of red fuming nitric acid? I was under the impression that there was a method for producing time-delayed ignition of paper using nitric acid, but I never learned how to control it...
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 13:28

Make a small patch on the book made of potassium chlorate and sugar and touch it with a drop of sulfuric acid.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 02:27

Wow - Your mention of a scroll just made it all possible in a reusable manner - And all the ignition parts are abailable at radioshack for under $10...

The central rod of your scroll has a 555 in one-shot mode, the trigger being a phototransistor and the delay being 30 seconds or so - The load is connected to a model-rocket style ignitor and the battery is an SOCl2 cell - If you've got a lathe or can handle a drill like a jedi you can fit the entire circuit in a 1/2" (or maybe smaller) dowel... One corner of the scroll is tapered out in such a way that the light sensor is exposed and trips the timer as soon as it is unraveled...

As for the paper, I would go for a fine, tight-knit but thin cloth and dope it heavily in NC lacquer - You'd have a continuous sheet with some stability to it, which would easily catch flame on ignition - As a plus, the virgin fabric should smolder in a random for some time and give it that extra hellish vibe.

...Just a thought... You could have a LOT of fun with something like that if you know the right people...

If you see me running, try to keep up.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 8-2-2012 at 11:54

In the USA there were many of the Super Fund clean-ups of various polluter and paper mills were one of the notorious ones. TTBoMK there are a great deal of additives in common linen, bond, and pulp paper. I don't have the facts at my finger-tips however the level of additives are fairly significant. I can find some of the chemicals used to make paper "adhere as a fibrous flat material" but in all likelihood it's would vary with the type. Some background on Monroe's experiments with NC lead me to believe that in order to get a nitration to 12+ % one must have a fairly pure precursor.

As an overall concept of "energetic paper" using the "type face" as the energetic (let's say NG) one also has the complication of how to apply the energetic ink. Common plate printing, an "ink-jet" style or a laser style would be a risk that would exceed the boundaries of any safety level even IF some form of "pure" cellulose-form paper could be developed. Just as an intellectual exercise, this is no small task.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 15-2-2012 at 16:11

Quote:
What happens to it when immersed in a saturated solution of trinitrophenol for thirty minutes, then allowed to dry on a watch glass?

I tried it yesterday. Immersed a piece of nitrocellulose paper in a few ml of the water that is used to keep the trinitrophenol wet during storage, which should therefore be saturated at room temp.

The nitrocellulose paper turned bright yellow as it was wetted by the TNP solution. (it doesn't soak up large quantities, however, as it does not appear to be very fibrous like regular paper). When I took it out after half an hour, I could not observe any differences except for the color. It was still flexible, perhaps a bit more than in a dry state. Upon drying, the yellow color turned much fainter. When completely dry, the paper was still noticeably yellow, but a lot less than before. I lit it and it burned at pretty much the same rate as before (which is pretty quick), leaving no residue or smoke.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
killswitch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 18-2-2012 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Quote:
What happens to it when immersed in a saturated solution of trinitrophenol for thirty minutes, then allowed to dry on a watch glass?

I tried it yesterday. Immersed a piece of nitrocellulose paper in a few ml of the water that is used to keep the trinitrophenol wet during storage, which should therefore be saturated at room temp.

The nitrocellulose paper turned bright yellow as it was wetted by the TNP solution. (it doesn't soak up large quantities, however, as it does not appear to be very fibrous like regular paper). When I took it out after half an hour, I could not observe any differences except for the color. It was still flexible, perhaps a bit more than in a dry state. Upon drying, the yellow color turned much fainter. When completely dry, the paper was still noticeably yellow, but a lot less than before. I lit it and it burned at pretty much the same rate as before (which is pretty quick), leaving no residue or smoke.

Interesting. Most interesting.

Enthusiastic thanks for your contribution!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top