Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: No2 and what it could/would oxidize or how to clean it.
DrEntheogen
Harmless

Mood: Reacted

[*] posted on 16-2-2012 at 11:11
No2 and what it could/would oxidize or how to clean it.

Any reaction that forms no2(g) as a byproduct instead of letting it into the atmosphere or where ever it goes, is their a way to clean it? or maybe use it to make more Nano2?

I had a theory idk if its possible but if you had no2 as a byproduct and you bubbled it through a iodide free NaCl solution would it be possible to then have Nano2?

or if someone could tell me the best way to clean? it or turn it into something that doesnt hurt our atmosphere i would greatly appreciate it.

"Orbitals are for mathematicians - Organic chemistry is for people who like to cook!" - Alexander Shulgin.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 16-2-2012 at 11:16

Bubble it through a basic solution.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 16-2-2012 at 12:03

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Bubble it through a basic solution.

Yeah. Ammonia or urea solutions work well.

Rest In Pieces!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 16-2-2012 at 12:07

Quote:
Any reaction that forms no2(g) as a byproduct instead of letting it into the atmosphere . . .

Will you produce enough NO<sub>2</sub> to produce a brown haze over a medium-sized town?

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
DrEntheogen
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-2-2012 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Quote:
Any reaction that forms no2(g) as a byproduct instead of letting it into the atmosphere . . .

Will you produce enough NO<sub>2</sub> to produce a brown haze over a medium-sized town?

P

lol, no its just a little from a sandmeyer reaction it only produced it for the first 3-10 drops then it subsided. 3 mol/g RxN.

Thanks for letting me know that, would a solution of sodium carbonate, bicarbonate, or NaoH be good, or would the NaoH be the best idea?
Does anyone know if i have to nuetralize the post RxN mixture before the simple distillation, because it would seem like a good idea, i feel like distilling a mixture with hcl in it might not be the safest thing lol. If i do nuetralize it would sodium carbonate be alright to use? ill only add that if the ph is to acidic like around 4, i think i should bring it up to about 6, 7 at the absolute most. what do you guys think?

[Edited on 01/01/2012 by DrEntheogen]

"Orbitals are for mathematicians - Organic chemistry is for people who like to cook!" - Alexander Shulgin.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 17-2-2012 at 01:15

All you need do is avoid inhaling it . . .

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-2-2012 at 02:09

Bubbling NOx through NaOH might be interesting, but only if you produce a lot of NOx in one of your experiments. You then make a mixed NaNO3/NaNO2 solution, which can be kept around for further experiments. Such a solution e.g. can be used for making organic nitrites like isopropyl nitrite or even methyl nitrite (which is a colorless gas which burns with grey flame).

Purifying a NaNO2/NaNO3 mix is not that easy, because separation by means of crystallization is not easily done. Both are quite soluble. But for many experiments, a mixed NaNO2/NaNO3 solution is a suitable alternative for pure NaNO2 solutions.

If you only make a small quantity of NOx, then just release it into the atmosphere and avoid inhaling it (and assure neightbours do not inhale it).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DrEntheogen
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-2-2012 at 09:21

thank you verry much. does anyone know about the other question with distilling a post RxN mixture that has hcl in it? do i need to nuetralize the acid? would sodium carbonate work for that?

Go To Top