Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Knf un840 ptfe diagphram vacuum pump
TheLogos
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 23:13
Knf un840 ptfe diagphram vacuum pump

My apology in advance if this topic is too specific.

I recently acquire a knf un840 vacuum pump off ebay for $200. The unit is missing one hose barb on the side that sucks in air. The side that purges the gas still has the hose barb.

All there is where the hose barb should be is a hole with threading on the inner diameter. The unit turns on and is functional. I just jam my tubing in that hole and it sucks in air.

With no experience, I have no idea if this is worth keeping or if I should send it back. I talked to knf cs and they just said I have to send it to them to be inspected and only then will a price quote be given. I gave them my email and phone number and never heard a thing again in a while.

What do you think I should do in this situation? I'm almost positive that its not working to full capability because there is some leak.

I don't want to epoxy anything permanently on there because it might need to be returned, and that might also compromise the chemical resistance of the unit.
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 23:24

If you spent that much money and you think something is wrong you should send it back. I would just unscrew the hose barb from the output and put it in the intake.

TheLogos
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2012 at 23:47

I tried but it won't come off easily. I might have to use a plier but only as a last resort since I might have to return it to them. I think the thing might have been epoxied on.

I just don't know if I'm getting a good price on it enough to warrant keeping it. Most ptfe diagphram pump cost around $400 for an entry level model from what I've seen, looking at vacuubrand, buchi and knf.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 04:28

Take a picture of the pump centered on the missing barb, and measure the hole with a caliper and I'll tell you what kind of threads it has and might even find you a substitute on ebay if I bother... Usually everything even in european countries has standard pipe threads (inches) and as such would be easy to find a suitable substitute.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 08:38

Seems like you could find a suitable fitting (male hose barb / male threaded end) somewhere online if you just determine the necessary dimensions. Not that you don't have a case for sending it back, but it may be less hassle to just fix it yourself.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 13:28

If the photo and description showed it missing the part, then you can't complain much, but I just looked at one of these for work, and they start at $500 for the simplest one, so that is a reasonable deal. If the photo showed an intact model, I would ask the seller for the fitting.

You should be able to find a threaded adapter, if you find the thread size (find manual via google or knf website) and post it and the hose ID, someone might be able to help you find a fitting. I might have one, I have everything else somewhere in my mess. I would try to swap fittings, use an adjustable wrench or better yet a closed end wrench to avoid damaging it.

TheLogos
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 14:59

It was showed in the photo, but I did not know if it was supposed to be that way or not. Theres not a lot of info on google about scientific instruments or photos. The seller didn't specifically state that anything was missing either.

I took the hose barb off of the purge valve and put it on the intake using a pair of pliers lined with napkin. It doesn't go on perfectly because after looking at it closely, the thread was stripped.

Not sure what the diameter of the thread is, maybe 10mm, bigger than 3/8 for sure. I'm too broke to buy a caliper to measure. The manual only specify the id of the barb and not the thread.

Also, I just assumed that the hose barb on fritted funnel is 3/8, but apparently not. It's something smaller, made by konte, chemglass and pyrex. So where do I find teflon hosebarb adapter?

It's functional now, but I'm still going to press the seller to send me another teflon hose barb.

[Edited on 25-2-2012 by TheLogos]
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 16:19

Quote: Originally posted by TheLogos  
So where do I find teflon hosebarb adapter?

Do you really need Teflon, polypropylene goes a long way, only thing I can thing of that might destroy PP is SO3, and I guess you won't put that through your pump anyways so..

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-2-2012 at 19:44

I recommend you disassemble the pump heads and inspect the diaphragms (usually all you need to look at). Look if they show signs of tearing/separation and degradation. If they're in bad shape you would probably save money to just return it. The diaphragms for pumps like that often cost $120+ each.

Edit: Or not. I just looked up how much those pumps cost. Paying another ~~250 for the diaphragms is still a good price tag. You could probably sell it for at least 800 if you show buyers it has new-ish membranes.

[Edited on 2-29-2012 by MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong]

Go To Top