Author: Subject: Ketone to Ketoxime Conversion Modification
Hohenheim
Harmless

Mood: Reborn

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 23:28
Ketone to Ketoxime Conversion Modification

I was wondering...

Using the paper presented below:

Concerning the conversion of propiophenone to alpha-isonitrosopropiophenone (the beta carbon has the oxime, alpha has the ketone), the work-up requires the use of ether bubbled through with HCl gas throughout the reaction. I propose the possibility that muriatic acid may be added in sufficient amount to increase the in situ HCl to a level acceptable to push the reaction forward.

Basically, rather than using 400 mL. diethyl ether, I use 200 mL. of ether and 250 mL. of muriatic acid. Ether and concentrated HCl acid are miscible; I suspect that the two will mix, and any excess water will separate. Given this, it may be the case where propiophenone is no longer soluble in the solution. I then propose that a fair amount of stirring will allow the reaction to continue as expected, even though yields may suffer.

Though this next bit may seem unrelated, I suspect that this miscibility is useful in separating hydrocarbons (non polar) often found in ether based starting fluid. Assuming no lubricants and nothing but heptane and isobutane (CO2 propellant) as contaminants, would mixing concentrated HCl acid with the starting fluid produce a top layer of non-polar substances that can be easily removed? This would make the source of ether rather convenient (I am not a fan of buying ether from ANY supplier, and storing it is just as nasty a situation). The assumption is, of course, that ether will mix with HCl acid before mixing with hydrocarbons... if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.

Attachment: Isonitrosopropiophenone.pdf (343kB)
This file has been downloaded 503 times

Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself.

-Paracelsus Von Hohenheim
Quote from Turd:
"And what is Stugartt supposed to be? Are you sure you don't mean Stuttgart, or is this supposed to be a transcription of some crazy high German dialect?"
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Pruned
4-3-2012 at 23:32

Go To Top