Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wow. Hotplate Stirrer 129$
Mirage
Harmless

Mood: Superheated

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 21:38
Wow. Hotplate Stirrer 129$

I was just perusing this website, and came across this awesome hotplate stirrer and wanted to just post a link to the page here. I have seen this hotplate being used by other youtube members. If you look at the specs, though you can see the max temp is 100 degrees C, not to great and only has a max capacity of 500mL, however, the price may seem to overcome many of these problems for some people.

Feel free to voice your opinions. Keep in mind, No one likes a troll.

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Magnetic-Stirrer-with-Hotpl...

Mirage
jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 21:48

I have one just like it except the temperature can go up to 300C. It heats up really fast because the hotplate is made of aluminum. I bought mine at amazon.

If I were you, I would be patient and keep looking on ebay. I hit the jackpot and got a digital magnetic hotplate for 70.00, a year ago!

It's a hit and miss, so be patient. You will at least be able to purchase a decent corning 320 or 420 used for 100.00 if you are patient.

Good luck.
Mirage
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 21:54

I recently acquired a PC320 for a mere 100$ from the well known Dr.Bob! I just wanted to put this out for the community:)
Hmmm. What brand is yours?

Mirage

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
I have one just like it except the temperature can go up to 300C. It heats up really fast because the hotplate is made of aluminum. I bought mine at amazon.

If I were you, I would be patient and keep looking on ebay. I hit the jackpot and got a digital magnetic hotplate for 70.00, a year ago!

It's a hit and miss, so be patient. You will at least be able to purchase a decent corning 320 or 420 used for 100.00 if you are patient.

Good luck.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 23:38

mine is a stuart cd 162. You can digitally control temperature up to 450C and the spin rate of the stirrer to 1600rpm.

What i love about it is that you can set the temperature as low as 20C.

BTW, pc320 is a very good magnetic hotplate. I tried to buy that before I landed the stuart cd620.

did you buy anything else from dr. bob? I just ordered 19/22 distillation set from him... I think it was the last one. He seems like a really nice guy and everyone seems to have had an amazing experience buying glassware from him.
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 04:59

Wow, I've never seen a 180W hotplate. That's pathetic! And I thought my 400W plate was bad!

Honestly, for a couple years I got by with overhead stirring with a motor from some appliance and a cheap single-burner from wal-mart with a sand bath.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-Single-Burner-Portable-Elect...

$16, and this thing blasts out something like a kilowatt!

Or, get one with a non-ferromagnetic deck (thin aluminum perhaps to mitigate eddy currents) and install a rotating magnet in there yourself.

[Edited on 6-3-2012 by DougTheMapper]

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
Mirage
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 09:19

I've ordered so much stuff from him...like >400$ plus. All 14/20. I I've got so much stuff, I could probably make 3 distillation kits, and still have stuff leftover. I also bought a lot of Pyrex media bottles from him.

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
mine is a stuart cd 162. You can digitally control temperature up to 450C and the spin rate of the stirrer to 1600rpm.

What i love about it is that you can set the temperature as low as 20C.

BTW, pc320 is a very good magnetic hotplate. I tried to buy that before I landed the stuart cd620.

did you buy anything else from dr. bob? I just ordered 19/22 distillation set from him... I think it was the last one. He seems like a really nice guy and everyone seems to have had an amazing experience buying glassware from him.
bebotaleson
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 18:45

it looks nice ,but i have one already
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 20:24

when i clicked your link it shows that this plate can reach over 300C.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 02:54

this one for 200 dollars is well worth the extra bit of money, i have one myself, it comes with a thermometer, stir bar and spare fuse.
it says it goes to 300* but it actually goes to 344*
there is a small LCD display where you can choose the temp read by your thermometer and the temp you set the hotplate to. be careful to have your thermometer on the plate or in what you are heating.
it is stainless steel, and i copper plated it to make it more resistant.
hotplate

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
MattVon
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 15:13

I think the price you mention was a typo of some sort. It now says it goes to about 375 Celsius instead of what you said.

I like to use scratch and I use a homemade hot plate stirrer, made from an old wooden box with an glass lid, and a fan with a magnet on it. When I use the stirrer, I turn on the fan and put the beaker containing the stirbar in it.

But that doesn't include a hotplate, so I can't really do anything about it. I just stir manually with a stir rod using a typical hot plate.

I buy a lot of my glassware from that company. Pretty good service and shipping.
Antimatter
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 15:27

I just like to go with the expensive but better and buy a much more expensive but useful hotplate/stirrer at another website.

In my opinion, for the price that hotplate stirrer is still at a reasonable price. And I think it said it was 375 C, not 100.

The hotplate/stirrer is nearly 300 dollars, but it's of quite good quality. I think the youtube user NurdRage used this hotplate
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&am...

Go To Top