Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iron borate?
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy :D

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 03:34
Iron borate?

I was thinking about acids... Then i thought about boric acid, and saw my iron acetate... I though that combining these 2 can make iron borate, also searched the forum and web and found a little to no information about the creatio of iron borate. Since my iron acetate is offtenly used, i dont want to find out that nothing happened in the reaction or contaminated it. So my question is, can you make iron borate from boric acid and iron acetate?
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 03:50

Depends if it is iron (II) acetate or iron (III) acetate. But I think you can make iron borate, if iron (II) or iron (III) borate is insoluble and you use hot water. Try a small amount of boric acid and iron acetate in a test tube filled with hot water first.
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy :D

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 03:54

Its iron(III) acetate, ill perform the test as soon as i get my hands on boric acid since my boric acid... Uhmmm... fell and now i have a mess... Anyways thanks.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  
Depends if it is iron (II) acetate or iron (III) acetate. But I think you can make iron borate, if iron (II) or iron (III) borate is insoluble and you use hot water. Try a small amount of boric acid and iron acetate in a test tube filled with hot water first.

Preparing iron borate using aqueous chemistry? Already several times you posted some totally counterintuitive claims without providing the reference. I do not know if you do this on purpose or just enjoy posting idle speculation. In any case I suggest you to read the posting guidelines, especially the section in regard to references and hypotheses.

Anyway, iron borate can be synthesized using the classical solid-solid chemistry by calcination of Fe2O3 and B2O3 (DOI:10.1107/S0567740875005870). Apparently the synthesis is not so trivial because the reaction temperature has to be nearly as high (900 °C) as it is the decomposition temperature. An improved synthesis (found as the first google hit!) is via the homogenization at low temperature through a citrate chelate followed by the calcination at stepwise increased temperatures up to 900 °C:
Quote:
In the chemical synthesis of Fe3BO6, BDH ferrous
nitrate (Fe(NO3)3.9H20) and Merck boric acid
(H3BO3) were used as starting materials. Iron
nitrate and boric acid were dissolved in distilled
water.
To this solution citric acid, was added and the
resulting solution was dried by evaporation at 100
°C in 24 hours. Within the next 24 hours, further
drying was carried out in a muffle furnace where
the temperature was increased gradually to 350 °C.
The resulting powder precursor was calcined for
one hour at temperatures 600,700,800, and 900 °C.

Cited from the experimental part of :
Chemical Synthesis of Iron Borate, Fe3BO6
İ. Çam, M. Timuçin (a symposium report)

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top