Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: iron borate mess
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy :D

[*] posted on 22-3-2012 at 16:43
iron borate mess

After making some fresh iron borate, i poured the hot liquid in a 150ml beaker... in a few seconds it solidified and got stucked in the beaker, i managed to get most of it out but... how do i clean this? i tried using household chemicals but none worked anyone know how? :P Btw i dont want another beaker since where i live theres no chemical store or anything related to it and i need to order it through the internet -_- and i got nothing in my credit card.
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 01:36

Your iron borate solution probably got supersaturated, which indicates it is at least partially soluble. So, to clean it, all you need to do is to boil NaOH (dilute because concentrated solutions will attack glass) or dilute Na2CO3 to get rid of the iron borate. The iron borate will dissolve slightly, then get precipitated out by the carbonates/hydroxides, thus increasing the speed of dissolution. If that doesn't work, use boiling HCl. That works on most occasions.

[Edited on 23-3-2012 by weiming1998]
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy :D

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 03:31

Thanks!
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2012 at 07:38

Quote: Originally posted by vampirexevipex  
After making some fresh iron borate, i poured the hot liquid in a 150ml beaker... in a few seconds it solidified and got stucked in the beaker, i managed to get most of it out but...

You prepared iron borate and managed to make it liquid, even a solution perhaps? :o
You should publish this in Angewandte Chemie. This truly is an unprecedented achievement.

Go To Top