Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microscale Kits
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 12:18
Microscale Kits

I'm considering buying a micro scale kit at some point, and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their experiences with them. I've found this one: http://www.safetyemporium.com/ILPI_Site/WebPagesUS/detail.ht... It looks suspiciously identical, aside from the branding, to the Sigma Aldrich branded ones the lab tech at university showed me the other day, right down to the packaging.

One thing I'm wondering in regard to using such a kit is how important it would be to have a highly accurate lab balance. I don't have one yet, and likely won't for some time due to their cost, but am instead considering my options in purchasing a cheaper one. It's hard to know, even after reading through a number of threads on the topic, if I'd be better served by getting a cheap one from ebay that purports a resolution of 0.001g, or to opt for a 0.01g resolution, albeit likely to also be a cheap ebay purchase.
MountainMan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 13:06

It does look like the Sigma kit. I have had 2 of the Sigma kits for several years. I believe Sigma does sell to resellers so it may very well be the same kit.
Re the balance: you'll likely get varied opinions. I use a 0.01 balance with no substantial issues. I think I paid about $ 100 for it about 5 years ago.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 13:59

Quote: Originally posted by MountainMan  
It does look like the Sigma kit. I have had 2 of the Sigma kits for several years. I believe Sigma does sell to resellers so it may very well be the same kit.
Re the balance: you'll likely get varied opinions. I use a 0.01 balance with no substantial issues. I think I paid about $ 100 for it about 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I had actually wondered if Sigma just rebadged the glassware... Or do they make their own, or at least have an exclusive supplier? Regardless, it seems a very nice kit.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2012 at 07:41

The kit I believe is made by chemglass. I have one of their catalogues in a box under my bed lol... "Minum-ware" was one of their trademarks, but I believe Sigma are resellers for them.
microtron
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2012 at 17:39

You can build by yourself a very effective and super cost-effective scale very cheaply. Look at rhodium archives...
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2012 at 03:43

Quote: Originally posted by microtron  
You can build by yourself a very effective and super cost-effective scale very cheaply. Look at rhodium archives...

this thread has nothing to do with measuring mass..microscale means carrying out reactions with microscopic amounts of reagents, like a few mg (i.e. qualitatively but not preparatorily useful in most cases, but cheaper than normal scale).
microtron
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-10-2012 at 04:42

Quote: Originally posted by tetrahedron  
Quote: Originally posted by microtron  

this thread has nothing to do with measuring mass..microscale means carrying out reactions with microscopic amounts of reagents, like a few mg (i.e. qualitatively but not preparatorily useful in most cases, but cheaper than normal scale).

haven't even heard about such a kits before(the smallest flasks are 25ml I think I have seen in reality and I should have somewhere), but I'll check what wikipedia or Britannica says about the kits. Thanks for letting me know. :)

This kit can be printed out in 3D fashion also, there is nothing difficult...but it's cheaper to buy of course the kit than printer, but in the long run....

but if somebody needs a good 0.00001 scale for example, than look at Rhodium.

Go To Top