Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bottling bromine
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2012 at 15:41
bottling bromine

so, recently i have been messing with bromine (please be aware i haven't literally been messing around, all safety protocols have been in place), and i wondered whether polypropylene is porous to br2 or whether it reacts with it, another option is to have a ground glass bottle but i wonder whether i will need clip to hold the glass stopper in, http://www.bromaid.org/handbook/section1propertiesofbromine/... i was wondering what vapour pressure a glass bottle with silicone grease can handle without leaking, i would prefer the latter alternetive as it looks more sciencey :3
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2012 at 15:44

needless to say the perfect way would be to put it in an ampoule but its one-time use and do not want to be dealing with high temperatures near a low boiling toxic caustic liquid that could potentially cause very nasty burns
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2012 at 15:46

my lab store is outside and would never reach temperatures over 20 celcious
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2012 at 16:39

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15452#...

Good luck!
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 21-4-2012 at 16:53

I have kept some in a roundbottom flask with ground stopper+clip for over 10 years now. The tempature fluctuates between -15 C (winter) and up to +30 (summer). The flask is in a larger closed container with an absorbent (bentonite), should it break or leak, but so far, no leaking seems to have occured.
I once tried to open the flask, intending to transfer the bromine to another container, and found the stopper was stuck. I did not want to break the flask and the bromine seems to be stored well for now so I decided to leave it with the stuck stopper untill someday I need to use the bromine.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2012 at 17:02

thanks for the link Mailinmypocket, i really need to start searching before i start a new thread, phlogiston ill probably go for a ground glass bottle with a clip and a little lube, thanks
leu
Hazard to Others

wink.gif posted on 25-4-2012 at 16:50
On Topic Old Threads

There's this old SM thread too:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5572

:cool:

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2012 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by rannyfash  
so, recently i have been messing with bromine (please be aware i haven't literally been messing around, all safety protocols have been in place), and i wondered whether polypropylene is porous to br2 or whether it reacts with it

Bromine will react with the remaining unsaturated groups in polypropylene, which will both brominate the polymer and use up some of the bromine, releasing HBr into it. Plastics are generally a very poor material to hold bromine. Glass bottles with teflon lined caps are best, red fluoropolymer caps are best, like used on bottles of chlorosulfonic acid, thionyl chloride, and bromine. If you use a stopper, you will need to grease it and be careful, as the glass can stick over time. A reagent bottle with a solid Teflon stopper might work, but bromine can diffuse through Teflon over time as well.

Go To Top