Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where can I get magnesia bricks ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 22-4-2012 at 04:05
Where can I get magnesia bricks ?

Looking for a furnace chamber for electric arc melting most refractories do not withstand the arc temperature.
Normal refractories melt easily. So bricks made of pure CaO or MgO are the best, like Henri Moissan did in 1897 with his EAF experiments.

Looking for 'magnesia' on ebay resulted in soldering slabs which I already have and contain no magnesia at all. The temperature rating of "2000 F" which is actually 1100C tells that this is indeed the same as the soldering blocks which are ideal for soldering (I use them frequently) but not for arc melting.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 13:22

Would it not be possible to make your own? I've heard of those home brick pressers, wherein you compress finely shredded newspapers into bricks for firelighting . . .is a similar method not possible but substituting the CaO or MgO powder?

I also know that Magpie once made a pill-press for chemicals . . .perhaps you could ask him for the designs, and just increase the size?

How big do you need your bricks to be?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 13:58

most fire cement melts at 1523 kelvin, i have 4kg lying around to make an arc reactor, so many unfinished projects :C
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 08:25

I've seen "bricks" made of magnesium carbonate in one sports equipment shop. It's basically the stuff people use in athletics (pommel horse, rings, parallel bars, etc.) for drying and smoothing their palms. One brick was a bit smaller than a standard pocket tissue and I think it was a bit over 3€.
If money isn't a problem, you could use them for making your furnace. It decomposes to the oxide above 540 °C.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-11-2023 at 12:15

Go To Top