Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bunsen burners going out of style?
Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 13:25
bunsen burners going out of style?

hi,
bunsen burners seem to have been replaced with hotplates, while you can regulate the temp of a hotplate pretty exactly, but a bunsen burner is: cheaper, costs about the same in gas cost and can be used as a flame to light something.

[Edited on 30-4-2012 by Pyro]

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 13:30

Bunsen burners are still being used and are very handy for glasswork, flame tests etc, and that it why they are still kept in labs as well as taps for a gas of some kind.

Hotplates are preferred, and I concur (although I do still have an antique Bunsen and Meker for above work) as they often provide better, more even heating, reduce the risk of fire, are much more adjustable and controllable and often require less hardware (tripods etc.).

IMO, Bunsen burners will still be around for some time yet, but I do still realise that yes, they do seem to be sadly falling in popularity.

[Edited on 30-4-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 13:41

well, thats what i mean, to me there is a kind of charm to using a bunsen burner.
as for the price: 7$ for the burner, 5$ for the tripod and 4$ for a mesh.
as for hotplates: what do most people use? one like students use for food? or a specialized one?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 13:46

My first hotplate was one of those cheapo Chinese £15 ones. It worked very well, the heating cycles on it were great and it lasted me a long time until I carelessley spilt a load of saturated sodium chloride on the top . . .it went very rusty, and I now keep it for dirty outside jobs, for heating large-scale reactions (it was meant to heat saucepans of water to boil!) and other purposes where I don't mind too much if it gets damaged. If one was more careful and looked after it a bit better, one like that is usually more than suffice for lab work and their ruggedness (spelling?) makes them last a very long time with a little TLC:)

I recently upgraded to a Stuart Scientific lab model, though, with magnetic stirring - I love it and its capabilities, but I still do try and use my Bunsen whenever I can.

[Edited on 30-4-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 14:55

nice, how much did that new one cost? i'm sticking with my bunsen burner for as much as possible though.
but the stirring is good. sadly i have to run my BBurner of a bottle of gas, as the boat doesnt have a gas line.
(it might be a good idea to cover it with Al foil)

Migratory
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:30

I've seen a lot of alcohol lamps around lately. According to my chem teacher, the portability (not needing a gas line) is becoming a priority for teachers in rooms not originally intended for lab work. Also, do you know if alcohol lamps burn cooler than Bunsen burners or something? That's the impression I'm getting.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:34

i believe they do, a Bunsen burner should reach max temps of about 1850*C provided you use methane and the air supply is very good. while an alcohol burner will tend to burn yellow thus not so hot

Migratory
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:37

That's a shame. I am in the same situation as the aforementioned displaced chem teachers, and am stuck with an alcohol burner too. I suppose I'll have to compensate with time...
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:43

just buy a BBurner, costs around 7 dollars, and get a bottle of gas, its a lot better, you can have a tiny candle like flame or you can have a big hot flame

Migratory
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:44

Hm. I'll look into it.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:48

you will also need a stand and a mesh with ceramic in it so your glass isn't exposed to direct flame.
all in a guess it would cost about 20-25$ plus gas.

Migratory
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 19:33

Yeah, I have ring stands and ceramic center meshes and such. Also, where do you buy methane gas canisters? You always see propane for camp stoves but never methane.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 19:37

go to a place that sells gas and gas fittings and ask them for methane=natural gas=CH4,... if you can't find any just use propane, bring your bunsen burner either way and tell them you need to hook it up to the bottle. i find them very helpful

Migratory
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 19:47

I don't know any places in our small town that specialize in gas fittings, but I'll look around.
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:25

Actually, I'm thinking of getting a bunsen burner because there are plenty of jobs which using a hotplate is no good or impractical for. For example, my hotplate only goes up to 300C and the only other heating element I have is a propane torch so I really need something in between. Heat guns from the hardware shop are real useful for chemistry, I'm gonna get one one of these days.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 07:36

I once used a portable camping stove, that used mini-butane tanks, before I got my Bunsen. Sorry, Pyro, I've no idea where it came from as my uncle, a British Gas technician, gave me them a while ago and at present I use a propane cylinder for the gas.

Yes, alcohol lamps do provide a cooler flame, but sometimes that is better, e.g. when heating small test tubes of liquid slowly or for manipulating glass tubing (another lab item that seems to be losing popularity to ST stuff.)

With regards to gas lines and fittings, the following page, from another chemistry forum, may be useful;

http://forums.homesciencelab.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272

as well as some of the other pages that are related.

(This is BTW a really good forum and I recommend you read some of the threads they have).

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 07:43

This topic has been discussed in some detail in <a href="viewthread.php?tid=19089">another thread</a>.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 09:11

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  

Yes, alcohol lamps do provide a cooler flame, but sometimes that is better, e.g. when heating small test tubes of liquid slowly or for manipulating glass tubing (another lab item that seems to be losing popularity to ST stuff.)

well, on a bunsen burner you can have a pilot flame which is pretty small, and you have the regulator on the burner and on the bottle
thanks hex, but i got one :p i was answring migratory's wuestions.
bfesser,
in that thread bunsen burners are not the main topic, here we are discussing the aquisition, use,... of them
tell me if you do not agree and want me to quit posting on this thread and get it sent to trash

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 04:27

No, I just meant to bring that thread to your attention, as it may have contained some relevant information you may not have seen. Sorry.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 07:31

no problem at all, it wasn't meant meanly. that thread actually sparked my need to ask this because its all about hotplates now :)

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 08:51

In the hands of a competent chemist I don't think Bunsen burners are going out of style at all. If you look back at the pictures of the work of garage chemist you'll see that he favors it.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 08:57

it does not seem like that though, because its all talk of hotplates.
to me a bunsen burner gives your workplace a kind of charm, sort of like a candle apart from being more versatile than a hotplate :)
but i can't deny that a hotplate is a good idea when you are working with something really flammable ;)

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 09:15

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  

to me a bunsen burner gives your workplace a kind of charm, sort of like a candle apart from being more versatile than a hotplate :)

I agree! I love using a Bunsen burner.

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  

but i can't deny that a hotplate is a good idea when you are working with something really flammable ;)

Yes, a hotplate is very useful.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top