Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: identify this gas generator apparatus?
edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 07:26
identify this gas generator apparatus?

There is an item on eBay that the sell hasn't fully identified... I'm looking at buying a few items from them so I'm tempted to include this item since it's cheap and combining shipping makes it even more attractive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Gas-Generating-System-2-Connecte...

Gas_gen1.JPG - 62kB
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 07:32

It's not a gas generator. It's a solvent mixing apparatus for gradient elution liquid chromatography. It's pictured upside down.

edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 08:51

Google didn't show me anything related... This would be for column or flash chromatography? Would the solvents be mixed in batches, or is it a continuous process? If the flask in the "middle" were stirred, I can see how letting solvent in from the right might create continuously change the solvent ratio.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 09:12

That was impressive, Bfesser. I couldn't figure it out at first, and did not realize that the spots on the bottom were holes. I have some similar things which I haven't been able to sort out yet, and I figured they were for something like that, but was not sure. Biotage had a manual system like that as well, but with steel tanks, which is much better for flask. This system looks more like one for a Chromatotron or gravity column. There is no way to pressurize it for flask, except with a pump, which would be pointless for such a simple item.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 04:26

Quote: Originally posted by edgecase  
This would be for column or flash chromatography? Would the solvents be mixed in batches, or is it a continuous process? If the flask in the "middle" were stirred, I can see how letting solvent in from the right might create continuously change the solvent ratio.

Column. Continuous. You got it.

Go To Top