Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DIY lyophilizer?
Chromatogram
Harmless

Mood: Eclectic

[*] posted on 15-5-2012 at 20:47
DIY lyophilizer?

I know, I still have to finish my first project but I'm already conceiving of another. A DIY lyophilizer. This seems quite conceivable. A vacuum pump, a dry ice box with condenser, hoses, flask, and stopper/cork. It seems to easy to be true? Is it really that easy?
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 15-5-2012 at 20:59

You are going to keep it cold with dry ice?

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
Chromatogram
Harmless

Mood: Eclectic

[*] posted on 15-5-2012 at 21:26

I was thinking of cooling the condenser, to keep solvent off the pump, with dry ice. Not cold enough? I'm not sure what temps I could reach with dry ice but I know we store it in an Ultra-Low. Liquid nitrogen instead?

"Fuck you Joe Boo. I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano
"Major League" - The Movie

I'm all about the DIY.
ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2012 at 01:02

We made one that I think worked OK. All a lyophiliser requires is, as you suggest, a sealed container, a high vacuum source, and a condenser. We used real lyophiliser jars (although any vacuum safe jar would do!), connected by vacuum tubing to a well-greased trap immersed in liquid nitrogen, which in turn was connected directly to a high vac pump.

We froze the samples in liquid nitrogen (we were using water/acetonitrile mixtures - our biochemists were drying protein samples), placed them in the jars, put them under vacuum... The only thing to be conscious of is making sure you look after the pump - change the oil regularly, make sure the trap is always filled with nitrogen, etc - otherwise the pressure will be higher and the thing won't work (which is true of real lyophilisers, too!).

Just to answer your final point - dry ice goes down to around -78 °C (most commonly used as a bath with acetone). I've never done it, but I believe it's cold enough to use for a trap (we always use liquid nitrogen on ours, though).
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 16-5-2012 at 07:22

-78 is good to any degree, but if you are freeze drying stuff you will have to constantly be filling the condenser with dry ice for the reason ziqquratu mentions. Not necessarily a fun endeavor.

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Go To Top