Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Bisulfite in place of Sodium sulfite in Etard Reaction
Hilski
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-5-2012 at 11:34
Sodium Bisulfite in place of Sodium sulfite in Etard Reaction

One of the final steps of a typical Etard reaction is to decompose the C6H5CH3-2Cr02Cl2 complex that is formed by adding the reaction mixture to a solution of sodium sulfite (Na2SO3). I would like to know if sodium bisulfite (NaHSO3) could be substituted, and if so, would there be any disadvantages, or extra precautions that need to be taken.
Quote:
In a typical experiment the toluene (1/10-1/5 mole) was dissolved in carbon tetrachloride (5-6 volumes). Chromyl chloride (0.21-0.42 mole) in ail equal volume of carbon tetrachloride \vas added slowly over 1 hour with stirring and external cooling in a bath of cold water so that the temperature never rose above 35 degrees. Stirring was continued for another 2 hours and the mixture was then either allowed to stand at room temperature or refluxed with stirring for a number of hours. If the reaction is not initially cooled or if stirring is discontinued too soon, a violent or explosive reaction may take place. The reaction mixture was decomposed by pouring onto a stirred mixture of ice and saturated aqueous sodium sulphite solution. The use of insufficient ice or stirring may lead to overheating and over oxidation of the benzaldehyde to the benzoic acid. The organic layer was separated and the aqueous layer extracted several times with carbon tetrachloride. Extraction is sometimes made difficult by the precipition of basic chromium salts, and these can best be removed by adding diluted (1 :1) hydrochloric acid. The products were isolated by distillation and their content of benzaldehydes determined [...]

\"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. \"

- Benjamin Franklin
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 17-5-2012 at 13:21

This is a science forum, so have the decency to cite the quotation!
Like this:
Canadian Journal of Chemistry 1958, 36, 949-951. DOI: 10.1139/v58-136

The sulfite is used to quench the oxidant, so it is irrelevant if NaHSO4 is used.
It is not used "to decompose the C6H5CH3-2Cr02Cl2 complex". That does not make any sense (besides the symbol for oxygen is "O" and not "0"!).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-5-2012 at 13:57

Quote:
[quote=248894&tid=20135&author=Nicodem]This is a science forum, so have the decency to cite the quotation!
Like this:
Canadian Journal of Chemistry 1958, 36, 949-951. DOI: 10.1139/v58-136

Sorry about that. I had intended to post a link to the reference, which I downloaded from this website. Apparently I forgot to do so, so here it is.
www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=156237&aid=806...

Quote:
The sulfite is used to quench the oxidant, so it is irrelevant if NaHSO4 is used.
It is not used "to decompose the C6H5CH3-2Cr02Cl2 complex". That does not make any sense (besides the symbol for oxygen is "O" and not "0"!).

Sorry about the typo. I copy/pasted that passage from the JCS article, and I guess the font didn't translate properly or something.

I'm not going to pretend to understand everything that's going on in the formation of the complex, and it's conversion to the aldehyde in this reaction, but the phrase The reaction mixture was decomposed by pouring onto a stirred mixture of ice and saturated aqueous sodium sulphite solution, or very similar phrases are also used in some of the other texts I have read about the Etard reaction. In this case,if the author is only using the sulfite to quench the oxidant, and only the water is responsible for the 'decomposition' of the Etard complex, I can see where my thought process went awry. For example, the author appears to be referring to the decomposition of the formed complex, as stated in the following abstract. (The author uses only water for the decomposition in this instance.)

Quote:
The Etard reaction. IV. Oxidation of ethylbenzene with chromyl chloride.
Rentea, C. N.; Rentea, Marina; Necsoiu, Ileana; Nenitzescu, C. D.
Inst. Org. Chem., Bucharest, Rom. Revue Roumaine de Chimie (1967),
12(12), 1495-501. CODEN: RRCHAX ISSN: 0035-3930. Journal written in
English. CAN 69:2591 AN 1968:402591 CAPLUS

Abstract

The Etard complex of ethylbenzene (I) was prepd. in CCl4 at 0°. Decompn. of the Etard complex of I by water yielded phenylacetaldehyde (II) and acetophenone (III) in equal proportions, along with styrene and BzH. The same products were obtained by treatment of styrene with chromyl chloride and hydrolysis of the complex, II being the major product. Chromyl chloride oxidn. of epoxyphenylethane yielded BzH and II and a trace of III. Presumably all these compds. result from a common intermediate possessing an epoxide-like structure. The mechanism of these reactions is discussed.

Here are a few more areticles about the Etard that I have read.

KINETIC SOLVENT EFFECT IN ETARD'S REACTION R. A. STAIRS
www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=179917&aid=106...

KINETICS OF ETARD'S REACTION: PART III. EFFECT OF RING SUBSTITUTION
R. A. Stairs
Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 1964, 42(3): 550-553, 10.1139/v64-080
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/v64-080

ÉTARD REACTION: II. POLYCYCLIC AROMATIC AND HETEROCYCLIC COMPOUNDS
Owen H. Wheeler
Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 1958, 36(6): 949-951, 10.1139/v58-136
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/v58-136

- Benjamin Franklin
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-5-2012 at 01:26

Though "decomposing the reaction mixture" is not really a proper phrase, I understood what you wanted to say. I was referring to your suggestion that the sulfite is used to decompose some PhMe.2CrO2Cl2 complex, which does not make sense, because sulfite would reduce it to toluene, and not the Etard reaction products.
As for that decomposition phrase, "quenching the reaction mixture" is a more descriptive and less ambiguous phrase for the process. Quenching can mean both, decomposing the excess of a reagent (for example, an oxidant), or hydrolyzing an intermediate product to give the final one (for example, hydrolyzing the complex of the product with AlCl3 in the Friedel-Crafts acylations).
Quote: Originally posted by Hilski  
For example, the author appears to be referring to the decomposition of the formed complex, as stated in the following abstract. (The author uses only water for the decomposition in this instance.)

I suggest you to nevertheless quench with the sulfite. Cr(VI) compounds are genotoxic and can be carcinogenic. Also, depending on the product, after addition of water, the various Cr(VI) species can further oxidize some products that are otherwise relatively stable under the anhydrous and properly mild Etard reaction conditions (typically aldehydes).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-5-2012 at 15:28

Quote:
As for that decomposition phrase, "quenching the reaction mixture" is a more descriptive and less ambiguous phrase for the process. Quenching can mean both, decomposing the excess of a reagent (for example, an oxidant), or hydrolyzing an intermediate product to give the final one (for example, hydrolyzing the complex of the product with AlCl3 in the Friedel-Crafts acylations).

OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

- Benjamin Franklin

Go To Top