Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problems with Fehling's Solution
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 21-5-2012 at 13:10
Problems with Fehling's Solution

In a lab activity I did, I used Fehling's solution to test for sugar. When I tested something with no sugar, nothing happened. But, when I tested something with sugar, I got an orange precipitate.

Now- the problem- when I did a test with nothing at all, the solution decomposed and I got a brown precip.

How do I know if I really have sugar present, or if the solution is just decomposing?

Thanks,
ScienceHideout

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 21-5-2012 at 13:19

Benedict's solution is used for testing for reducing sugars, and gives an orange/brown ppt. when added.

How old were the solutions you used? IME we have always prepared Fehling's solution fresh in our labs.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fizzing

[*] posted on 22-5-2012 at 10:41

Yeah, make up the solution fresh, then that way you know there is no contaminants, which is what i think must ve happened.

Its supposed to go from clear blue alkaline Cu2+ environment to red precipitate of copper(i) oxide while heating, when reducing sugars are present.

Go To Top