Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting Plug Hole unblocker.
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fizzing

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 11:05
Interesting Plug Hole unblocker.

Another OTC chemical post::::D

I just posted about the formic acid descaler., and ammonia available in a well known home brand store. Also sells 500 g of NaOH pellets, seems pretty pure as well!!!!!!

There is an interesting plug hole unblocker as well, it contains solid NaOH, NaNO3, and aluminium turnings / powder. Proportions arent listed.
I looked at the stuff in the store a while back, you can clearly see the AL, looked like turnings.

though whose data sheet is available here:

http://www.challs.com/en/content/download/97/387/buster%20kitchen%20plughole%20unblocker%20-%20ids.pdf

It wouldnt be easy to separate the ingredients though, the AL and the NaNO3 would be more sought after,,,,,,

[Edited on 30-5-2012 by MR AZIDE]

99chemicals
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 11:57

You could add nitric acid to it very slowly to react the NaOH to NaNO3 and the aluminum would passivate. You might have to do it a high tempratures to vaporize any water formed in the neutralization. While still hot you could filter and wash the aluminum powder in a baking soda solution.

Not very practical but, the only thing I could think of.:)

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 12:12

might be able to recover the Al turnings, if the stuff was massively diluted in water , to prevent the conc of NaOH being enough to attack the aluminium appreciably.
very dilute NaOH seems to attack Al very slowly really.

It doesent mention the proportions of the ingredients either...........
There is a MSDS of this stuff, but marketed as the Austrian brand of the stuff.

says this has mostly NaNO3 in it.

http://www.challs.com/at/content/download/813/3598/BUSTER%20FÜR%20DIE%20KÜCHE%20ABFLUSSFREI%20(AUSTRIAN%20KITCHEN%20PLUGHOLE%20UNBLOCKER)%20-%20SDS1 0182%20-%20En.pdfhttp://www.challs.com/at/content/download/813/3598/BUSTER%20FÜR%20DIE%20KÜCHE%20ABFLUSSFREI%20(AUSTRIAN%20KITCHEN%20PLUGHOLE%20UNBL OCKER)%20-%20SDS10182%20-%20En.pdf

anyhoo......would it be worth buying for a tinker, at about &3.50 for about 400g of the stuff.?

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 12:24

Aluminum is easily purchased as foil and is very cheap. Sodium hydroxide mixed with aluminum and NaNO3 isn't worth too much as a base, and is hard to isolate from a mixture like this one. Depending on availability, you may be able to buy sodium nitrate, ammonium nitrate, or potassium nitrate cheaply as fertilizer or stump remover. I found sodium nitrate cheaply as "nitrate of soda" at the garden store, and ammonium nitrate in cold packs. It's probably not worth the effort to isolate it.
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 12:50

It depends on how available the chemicals are to the home tinkerer though.

Most of the plant /garden stuff around here is specially formulated plant food crap, nothing like bags of nitrates, and DEFINATELY no chlorates, KCLO3 is impossible as its a banned chemical in the UK, unless youre a buisiness.

Al as foil, well OK.......but considering its possible the AL is in powder or dust from( as the MSDS claims), it may be worth the effort of extracting that for some pyro stuff.

IF the NAOH content is only 5-10 %( as MSDS claims), large dilution in water may be a way to recover the AL powder.

If the NAOH is in pellet form, which i think something in the product is, , and the NANO3 and AL in powder, then were in business, because all thats needed will be a sieve.!!!

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 14:17

You can get Potassium Chlorate in fairly reasonable amounts, Mr Azide, from 'Pets at Home' . . .look in the fish section for oxygenating tablets. They contain 98% potassium chlorate, and come in little pellets in a small plastic tube.

Our local hardware stores carry 500g/1kg bags of fairly pure sodium nitrate, potassium carbonate and more under their archaic names - carbonate of potash, nitrate of soda and so on, in addition to sulfur, carbon powder etc.

I also got some (300-ish grams) of NH4NO3 from cold packs sold in Boots about eight months ago....dunno if they still carry it though. With the fertilizers and cold pack stuff, they have anti-caking agents mixed in to stop them clumping together, so dissolve the salt in water, filter and then remove the water to get purer stuff for your reactions.

Around the UK, though, we cannot get pure potassium chloride off the shelf like you Americans . . .the best we can get it 'Lo-Salt', which is only 51% KCl and 49% NaCl.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 15:22

The Lo-Salt i have in hand right now specifies 66% KCl and 33% NaCl, with magnesium carbonate as an anticaking agent. Its pretty old but I doubt the composition has varied that much in the last year or two.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 17:55

it might be possible to use another liquid to separate the aluminum from the sodium nitrate/hydroxide by using their densities... I know they will react in water but maybe DCM or Ether won't support the reaction? as for separating the hydroxide from the nitrate if they are integrally mixed it may not be feasible. You could heat the powder( once the aluminum has been removed) and collect the NOx gasses but I don't see a way to balance the reaction right this moment. if you can find a solvent that will dissolve one and not the other that would be ideal but this too may not be feasible.
Edit: fractional crystallization might be another option...

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by Funkerman23]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 18:04

methanol...

methanol will dissolve only hydroxide. (in this mix)

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.

Go To Top